[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Financial support for carers – a view “from the - Carers UK Forum

Financial support for carers – a view “from the

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Having been a former carer now for nearly 3 months – sadly, my Dad passed away on 12th June – the calls for increased financial support for carers that have been in the news today gave me pause for thought.

During the 18 months that I was a full-time carer for Dad, I received only Carer’s Allowance, at a maximum rate of £50.55 per week. I was assisting Dad (whose mobility was severely impaired by peripheral neuropathy) with personal care, medication, meals, drinks, getting in and out of bed, shopping, GP and hospital appointments, financial affairs and a million other things.

Today I received my first payslip since returning to paid employment on 28 July. I feel almost guilty taking home around £200 per week for a five days a week. 9-5 office job that quite honestly feels like a holiday compared to my caring duties.

Reading some of the posting on the BBC “Have Your Sayâ€Â

If ever a group deserved recognition and financial support, that group just has to be carers.
I don't think anyone here would disagree with that, Dee. The statement by the Minister Anne McGuire today on BBC4 radio that Carers Allowance would not be reviewed for three years was quite simply disgraceful.
Some stats for you Dee from the BBC site.

DEBATE STATUS
Total comments:389
Published comments:377
Rejected comments:12

No further comments will be published as debate is now closed

I dont know if its normal practise to close a debate after one day but seems unreasonable when so many others will no doubt want to add their comments.

Rosemary
Some stats for you Dee from the BBC site.

DEBATE STATUS
Total comments]No further comments will be published as debate is now closed[/b]

I dont know if its normal practise to close a debate after one day but seems unreasonable when so many others will no doubt want to add their comments.

Rosemary
WOW... maybe the BBC just cant cope - well I know I couldn't read 377 comments just like that.
Hopefully that level of interest will influence their programming schedules soon...
Hopefully that level of interest will influence their programming schedules soon...
Influence it even more Rob had they left the debate open Image Image
Yes, I was really surprised to see the topic classified as "Read Only" so quickly. But there were an awful lot of comments on the board, at least Carer's issues are now right out in the open.
Yes, I was really surprised to see the topic classified as "Read Only" so quickly. But there were an awful lot of comments on the board, at least Carer's issues are now right out in the open.
I wonder who the 12 rejected posts were by.... I'll give you a couple of guesses Image

Image Image
Today I received my first payslip since returning to paid employment on 28 July. I feel almost guilty taking home around £200 per week for a five days a week. 9-5 office job that quite honestly feels like a holiday compared to my caring duties.
Hi Dee
Thanks for that Image

After listening to the Minister for the Disabled Anne Mcguire on TV yesterday talking about getting carers back to work I was beginning to feel like i had been dropped into a parallel universe where caring was easy...does that mean I'm not doing it right? Image

I must admit although it's a long time ago (I've been a 24/7 carer for 18 years) I seem to remember that working full time and not being a carer was a doddle compared with trying to care full time and work a few hours part time.

What planet do some of these politicians live on? Planet privilege i think Image

best wishes
Belle Image
I wonder who the 12 rejected posts were by.... I'll give you a couple of guesses
Now, now Rob!
It could have been anyone! Image

mariex