finance worry

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
hi, I have to run the house now that mum is in her 90s, and the time finally came for decorating to be done, also she needed new furniture and carpets. We've been putting it off because of all the work involved! I am the one dealing with the decorators etc. Without either of us thinking about it, she gave me over £3,000 by cheque to cover all the costs involved; (as the decorating has not been done for years there may be remedial works such as plastering). As she is unwell she did not want all the hassle of writing cheques to all involved. Too late I realised that she can only "give away" £3000 per year and she has breached that amount, but obviously it is not for me but for works and furniture for her house. A friend brought the matter up and mum and I are now worried that after she dies it will look as if she has "given" me the money for myself, whereas it will go on the above. Any advice on what to do, as if the money has to be paid back in to the estate when the time comes it will have to come out of my small savings. I have a receipt for the deposit of the furniture, and a quote from the builder by the way.
Hi , may seem obvious but keep all the receipts for work carried out and decorating items to show you have paid for them from your money-i.e. the money mum gave you for decorating.
It is perfectly reasonable that your mum can't be paying tradesemen and popping down to B & Q so just keep the receipts to account for expenditure. :)
Very sensible. Another possibility is for you to be taken on as a signatory (or whatever it's called!) whereby you can draw money from her account, to be spent on her needs.

Also, you could open a joint account together, and she can place money in that you can then write cheques to decorateors out of, The only problem is that if she died 'suddenly' half the money would count as 'yours'.
PS - by the way you're allowed to roll over one year of the £3000 gift allowance, so if you didn't get any money from your mum in the previous financial year, she can give you £6000 this year ie with the £3000 for last year 'backdated' so to speak. Quite useful that one!
A gift for tax purposes has to be a real gift, i.e. without any restriction on what it can be spent on. If it was money for decoration on mums house, or reimbursement for monies spent on her house then it wasn't a 'gift'
Keep all receipts of house expenditure or anything spent on mums behalf
Yes being added as signatory is a good idea. Better still get power of attorney for finances, and the one for health too
Personally after trying for ages to get POA, I have come to the conclusion it is easier not to have it but to have third party access. It gives you pretty much the same authority to use funds "with consent" but without the burden and accounting responsibilities of being POA . If it comes to paying yourself it seems to be easier not to be POA! I am sure most would disagree but I am just speaking from experience. I would save POA for selling houses and not before.
Also POA costs money to apply for, and annual fees as well, I think?
Third party is a really good idea, especially where instant access to the money is required - presumably mum is mentally OK to do this? My mum's bank was a bit odd when I just had third party, they wouldn't let me have a debit card on the account (even when I finally had POA!) but it was OK to give me another card for her credit card account with them. It was always paid off in full at the end of every month anyhow, so which sort of card I had didn't matter.
If mum has lots of money and assets, then POA might help, but it only works when mum is alive.
Can I ask if you are an only child?
The good thing about credit cards is that these days, thanks to Pin not signature authorisation (let alone the dreaded and incredibly dangerous contactless!), it means that anyone with the pin can use it. My son uses my 'lesser' cc for transactions that are unsafe for using his debit card (eg, buying petrol) or for emergency use, I know the number and pin, so can still use it online and over the phone even though I don't have the physical card.

It's paid off every month, by me - and I can see what my son has been using it for on the monthly statements!
can I thank you all for your replies, they have been so helpful and have taken the weight off my mind. I think Power of Attorney is out partly because mum doesn't want it. Also I don't think she wants anyone( even me) to have access to her bank account, which is fair enough. But we didn't know about the rollover of the £3000 annual allowance as we haven't used it before. Even so we will keep all receipts, and are looking forward to having the work over and done with. Good weekend everyone.