[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
FINAL ? DECISSION FROM VETERANS AGENCY RE RESPITE CARE. - Carers UK Forum

FINAL ? DECISSION FROM VETERANS AGENCY RE RESPITE CARE.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I wont bore you with the details as most of it is mumbo jumbo .

CONVALESCENCE === Is for a war disabled pensioner who can not take a holiday in a normal hotel as the old doll has been on "holiday" with me she can not access convalescence breaks.

RESPITE CARE === breaks are granted as an emergency measure in the event that the war disabled pensioner`s regular full time carer is suffering ill health or is hospitalised and as my mothers full time carer who is not "ill" we can not access respite care breaks .

to claim respite care i as it says must be ill my G.P. has to issue a certificate detailing my illness and the request for respite care would be considered and may then be given i just cant believe what they have said i was under the impression hat respite care was to give the carer of an elderly war disabled pensioner some free time to recharge their batteries if i was ill how long would it take to get the rspite care in place not overnight thats for sure .
CONVALESCENCE === Is for a war disabled pensioner who can not take a holiday in a normal hotel as the old doll has been on "holiday" with me she can not access convalescence breaks.

RESPITE CARE === breaks are granted as an emergency measure in the event that the war disabled pensioner`s regular full time carer is suffering ill health or is hospitalised and as my mothers full time carer who is not "ill" we can not access respite care breaks
Unluckily the Veterans Agency is only geared up to aid and assist the actual service Veteran, and not their carer. Thats why they don't operate any form of carer allocations, and leave that issue to the Social Services.
Your best option is to approach the RBL, Regt Assoc, or ABF equivalent, with respect to any help that you require for yourself in your caring role.
Problem is we in the past have used the respite care system via the SERVICE PERSONNEL AND VETERANS AGENCY but last year they have for what ever reason changed the rules, is respite not for the carer i have letter from veterans agency last year saying that respite will enable me the carer to recharge my batteries their words not mine .
GORDON BROWN made a staement re veterans just last year when he said " NO VETERAN PAST OR PRESENT OR FAMILY MEMBER OF A VETERAN SHOULD SUFFER IN ANY WAY BECASUSE OF THE VETERANS SERVICE WITHIN H.M. FORCES WE OWE IT TO VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES TO LOOK AFTER THEM" if we cant get fre respite via veterans agency we have to pay local authority it aint free for us .
GORDON BROWN made a staement re veterans just last year when he said " NO VETERAN PAST OR PRESENT OR FAMILY MEMBER OF A VETERAN SHOULD SUFFER IN ANY WAY BECASUSE OF THE VETERANS SERVICE WITHIN H.M. FORCES WE OWE IT TO VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES TO LOOK AFTER THEM"
Brown later went on to say that the "Families" were the service persons Dependants: that is children under the age of 18 and or Widow/Widower; when pushed on the matter.
It sounded good and seemed to appear the focus would be on the care of the veteran and all of their family, but in the end its all part of his attempt to set the rules to focus around children.
I'm in a similar boat with my disabled ex-service husband, and have never managed to get any respite break in over 9 years. As to your previous breaks, they could have been granted for a variety of reasons but most of the gaps or loopholes are getting filled in with extra requirements, from accessibility to other amenities and services, to income and AGE?!. The main excuse used that I've found is the COST due to the growing number of younger disabled service personnel and families.
GORDON BROWN also said and those who care for the veterans he said veterans past and present - our respite care in the past was granted to give me a break the welfare officer for the north east is in fact a frined of ours he helps the old doll and me with the work we do for the war widows association and the ex p.o.w. association in fact it was Alan who first made me aware of the respite care via the veterans agency as he thought i needed a break we dont want to go cap in hand to any service charity in fact the S.S.A.F.A. rep in our area is the old doll`s sister in law .
ive got many letters and e-mails from veterans agency and ministers they all say respite is to give the carer a break but now the agency claims it is for emergency respite care only ,
so what do we do ring them up and say on the 23 september 2009 i will be ill can we have some respite please it takes nearly 3 months to organise respite care at the R.A.F. care home .