Should council tax rises be used to fund social care

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
As family carers many of todays reforms, by past and present govts, are hitting us from many angles. The impact being felt by many families already is immense. Now we are coming to lack of money for social care again and how to fund the gap.

This article discusses using council tax rises to plug the gap.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/ ... dget-holes

Is this something you agree with as different counties will face different rises etc, or is there another way??

Back when the 1st so called consultations were taking place, many argued that general taxation should have been discussed. Would this have been a fairer way?

My own major concern is the criteria used to determine care packages. How long before tightened to such a degree that only those with extreme high needs will be eligible.

Having 2 adult daughters I dread to think what they will face when they are older.

x x
Copied across from the News Section before the plug is pulled.

Horror of horror for many caught in this trap.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 67001.html

I don't earn enough to pay Income Tax , still £ 30+ per week under the starting figure.

Council Tax ? Pay full whack for Band A less 25% for being the sole occupant.

No relief here as I earn " to much " to qualify for any benefit.

Currently paying 10.7% of net income in Council Tax.

Whatever , Council Tax arrears are growing rapidly across the UK.

A further increase will send even more into debt just to keep a roof over their heads.

If Income Tax , no problem !
I agree that the funding has to come from somewhere but I'm not sure that raising the Council Tax is the right way to do it - surely a simpler and fairer way would have been to increase income tax - just a few pounds per year from each tax payer must add up to a considerable sum ?

Although retired, like Chris, I still pay income tax and 75% council tax. I have no husband and no children so have to make sure that I have savings to see me through - I'll probably be over the threshold to qualify for social care anyway so won't benefit from any resultant increase to social care funds no matter where it comes from.
NO! We could only afford our cottage after working in Australia for 3 years, but even then could only afford something that needed everything doing to it. The roof leaked, and to go to the toilet you had to go outside the back door and use a board and a bucket in the outhouse. It took years to renovate, it's warm, and cosy with every mod con now. Because we live in the New Forest where prices are now some of the highest in the country, we pay a stonking £2,000 per year Council Tax now. It's by far the greatest single outgoing, we don't even have mains drainage here - but have upgraded so no bucket any more. I don't even qualify for Carers Allowance now I'm an OAP.
Stop paying out 'aid' to corrupt foreign governments and use the money for social care for a start.

We URGENTLY need a ruling on the issue of how 'long ago' a person can give away their assets before the LA can claim them back. I would propose the 7-year rule that suits HMRC re gifting should apply. Seems not unreasonable.

Mirror wills where one spouse leaves their estate to the other will have to end. The deceasing spouse will have to leave their half to their children, so it doesn't 'pool' to the other, and then all have to be spend on the surviving spouse.

Cheaper ways have to be found for caring for those with dementia. A hundred pounds a day is outrageous, and an appalling waste of money!
Those of us that have posted a reply have made comments that relate to caring for the elderly, but we should also remember that social care covers all age groups and that therefore lack of funds affects everyone.

Jenny - you wouldn't balk at paying £100 per day for a reasonable hotel would you? So why is that sum outrageous for a decent care home offering private room, full board, laundry services, entertainment and, in some cases, basic nursing care ? After all they do have considerable overheads and do need to make a profit if they are to survive.
Susie, I've been a carer for my son since the day he was born.

At least those people caring for elderly relatives know that their caring role is time limited, for our family it's a life sentence. Really good qualifications but no hope of a job because SSD couldn't arrange any when he was younger. I was invited by the local college to be in charge of ALL the spiecial needs courses, but no respite meant I couldn't do this. It's a really sore subject with me and my friends in a similar situation. Near me millions are being wasted on a new front to the local museum. The council can find money to change perfectlly good pavements for pavoir paving slabs to enhance the street scene. Complete and utter waste of money.
Interesting point.

NHS is free at the point of delivery whereas Social Care is dependant on one's ability to pay.

I can recall the initial discussions on CarerWatch some 8 / 9 years just before the last major shake-up.
Concensus then was for SC to be funded out of general taxation. Subsequently , the Government in their
wisdom introduced the present system which is a mixture ... when private funds are exhausted , LAs step
in with funding.

2017 in a couple of hours time. Indications are that another shake-up is on the cards as the LAs have
increasing funding problems , and are at loggerheads with the Government. In addition , privately run care homes are closing across the UK , numerous reports in the soon to be pulled News Section.

All we can do is wait for the end game.

And yet , SC as we know it would not exist without the sacrifice of carers over the years.

Suffice to say , we have no input into this , and are mere spectators.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a care home doesn't earn its money, and that as you say a hundred pounds a day for what you get is actually not bad value (ie, comparing it to a hotel).

However, the brute truth is that it makes the life of a person in a care home INCREDIBLY expensive - literally £36,500 a year!!!!!

That's what I meant about it being outrageous.

Equally outrageous, however, is my 'alternative' which I won't spell out here, as I know it's too controversial.

But speaking entirely personally, I would like to be able to write some kind of 'advance directive' for myself in that respect. Though I do know it's a VERY difficult moral issue.

The best really is either to 'die swiftly' before becoming too infirm, or not to get that infirm in the first place! (Because some very elderly people do incredibly well - my neighbour is 96 and still going strong - walks to the shops every morning etc etc, and is totally 'all there'.)
Chris, we can probably do the maths about how much the NHS disberses on our account per person (budget of the NHS divided by the number of people in the UK), and of course that will vary over our lifetimes (can't remember the last time I saw my GP - sometime in the summer I think).

But the figure to compare it to, in terms of social care is, as I mentioned above, £36,500 a year.

I'd surmise that the NHS does NOT fork out £36,500 a year (averaged out) over our lifetime.

(I appreciate that not all those in need of social care cost £36,500 a year!)