[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Altzheimer drugs - Carers UK Forum

Altzheimer drugs

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My mum is over 90 years old and recently diagnosed with mild altzheimers and vascular dementia. She was prescribed exelon patches.
After about a week skin was itchy she seemed confused and extremely tired and was advised to discontinue.
Has anyone experienced similar problems or tried alternatives?
my wifes on aricept(donepezil) when she first started on them they gave her d+v and other problems but her memory better,so we persevered,because pre aricept was heartbreaking especially as she is only 41,i hate alzheimers!
My Mum's on Aricept too (3 years now). It is usually taken at bedtime, but because it caused Mum sleep problems and nightmares her Geriatric Pyschiatrist agreed that she could take it in the morning - since then no problems at all.

The 3 main dementia drugs are Aricept, Exelon and Reminyl and all work in a similar way - if one is not suitable then your GP should be able to switch your Mum to one of the others which may be more suitable.

You can read more about all 3 here http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/d ... mentID=147