[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Never Had It So Good. - Carers UK Forum

Never Had It So Good.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Harold MacMillan once said.He allso,on a trip to South Africa,highlighted "The Winds Of Change" heading our way,re that regime,of the late 1950s.

Well,in 2010 we have,indeed NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD.Whatever we felt about our plight as carers thus far,you can bet,the times we HAD,were good,COMPARED TO THE ROTTEN TIMES AHEAD.Heres one tiny plea,Lets not fall apart.Lets stand united,the carers family,so-different in our needs,so one,in the caring role we do.Lets be together.UNITED.

The Winds of MASSIVE changes,for EVERYONE in our nation are blowing now,and it will get a whole lot more windy too.Again,we need unity of purpose,supporting each other,now..We Never Had It so Good,Here,.together,this forumI think,we shall all,need oneanothers support,help,and this forum in the times ahead.

While,Ive been very concerned that Carers Uk is far too polite,respectfull,fawning over ministers etc,far too weak,we need Carers Uk,each-other now..
Apparently the cuts will take us back to the bad old days of... er 2007, in budget terms.
I really think we all need to chill a little, there is a lot of bloat to remove before we all have to go back to soup kitchens.
The problem is the unknown, Excalibur, and the rhetoric flowing at present, which seems to encompass all benefit recipients together (except for the odd softly spoken vague "but genuine cases will be ok") as being the leeches responsible for all ills. It's been a return to the Victorian view of "deserving" and "undeserving" poor. Not so much 2007 as 1847.

And although there is undoubtedly a lot of "bloat", traditionally it is not those areas that suffer the cuts. In our area the cost of a Chief Executive at the various local councils has burgeoned. There are more Directors and Assistant Directors of (whatever public service) and more layers of management. Are they under threat? It doesn't seem so. And then there are the local politicians making their own decisions over cuts...

click here
Councillor Grant believes much of the flak flying his way has been misguided.

The council is not spending £40,000 on new iPads, as has been widely reported elsewhere, he points out.

Four councillors, including him, are testing the devices to see whether they can make members more effective and cost-efficient.

The iPad is portable, he can pull planning applications and maps out of the ether, it takes 30 seconds to boot up, and – unlike a laptop – it doesn't put a "physical barrier" between him and his constituents, says Councillor Grant.

But is it really a justifiable expense?

Councillor Russell – another taking part in the iPad trial – believes the devices could potentially save the authority £80,000 a year.

She arrives at that figure by calculating the cost of printing all those weighty agendas that land on councillors' doormats.

Go paper-free, make all those documents iPad downloadable, and you have an extra £80,000 that could be spend on frontline services
The word "fair" has certainly taken on a new meaning to me. It makes me cringe.
in-the-end,what really matter?.I think its who we care for,those who care for us.family,freinds,comunity.if,in the end,any of these cuts re-boot society to be more about those values,then,you-know-what?,bi-product though that may be,and not the core purpose of such cuts,then,i think,it might be no bad thing.
we are an empty culture in many respects.
Councillor Grant believes much of the flak flying his way has been misguided.

The council is not spending £40,000 on new iPads, as has been widely reported elsewhere, he points out.

Four councillors, including him, are testing the devices to see whether they can make members more effective and cost-efficient.

The iPad is portable, he can pull planning applications and maps out of the ether, it takes 30 seconds to boot up, and – unlike a laptop – it doesn't put a "physical barrier" between him and his constituents, says Councillor Grant.

But is it really a justifiable expense?

Councillor Russell – another taking part in the iPad trial – believes the devices could potentially save the authority £80,000 a year.

She arrives at that figure by calculating the cost of printing all those weighty agendas that land on councillors' doormats.

Go paper-free, make all those documents iPad downloadable, and you have an extra £80,000 that could be spend on frontline services
Except they already have laptops which can do all this.
i think,like carers uk,like this forum,we do best helping each other.we help,we link,we do a bit of good.

Except they already have laptops which can do all this.
OK Yah. But laptops was then, and this is now. If you dont innovate, you atrophy: I have seen the huge wodges of paperwork that gets sent out to these councillors and it is stupid.

That said, I would rather councillors met one a month, for no pay at all like charity trustees. But they are overseeing many tens of billions of pounds of public expenditure, it isnt an easy burden. What next, are we going to count how many paperclips they use?
i mean,as they are now,are they of any use?.