[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fancy a holiday? - Carers UK Forum

Fancy a holiday?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
See Matt's post on Tips & Practical Advice.

Unbelievable.

L
Would love a hoilday but although I feel it sometimes I'm not over 50 lol

Good luck to all those carers you get it
I would need a holiday if I lived here:

[quote]for film buffs]

Did she recover? Image
Allegedly yes ... ha ha ha!
Got a family wedding coming up in July in Scotland so asked Social Services about respite for mum in law for a few days. Had a visit from the social worker and after an hour and a half was left the form to fill in and return to them - 10 pages - but no definite answer yet. Image
Got a family wedding coming up in July in Scotland so asked Social Services about respite for mum in law for a few days. Had a visit from the social worker and after an hour and a half was left the form to fill in and return to them - 10 pages - but no definite answer yet. Image
True cost of visit by social worker:
£140 labour
£20 travel
£20 supervision
£5 training
£20 admin overheads
£10 materials and rental
£100 real value of your own time and expertise

Total: £315

Benefits to you: er maybe 40 hours respite at £10 per hour inclusive = £400
Admin and overhead costs to local authority = £315

Our little weekend is now costing £715 ... and that's B4 the presents, hired clothes, accommodation, dry cleaning etc etc... another £500.

The figures don't add up. Much of the money is going to the bloated local authority for doing very little? You are actually paying out £500 plus, in spare change... Well: DOH... are we surprised!!

Lets look at transactional costs here, and lets cost in your own time@ £20 an hour.. or maybe lets not...

Get that invitation? Just turn it down...it isn't worth the hassle and anyway you cant afford it...

er... even I can figure the Maths. They don't add up. Why not sack the social worker and just put you in charge of arranging the care package???
[quote]
True cost of visit by social worker]

Actually getting to the wedding.....priceless.

You're right, Excalibur - there really should be an easier way. A ten-page form! AFTER a 90 minute visit? Bureaucracy for its own sake.
I looked at my LA's website a couple of days ago, the DN told me that the LA was no longer providing respite care (so much for the government's doubling of respite Image ). While I was there I thought I'd see if they'd got round to introducing the Emergency Card, for a LA with Beacon Status for services to carers they're a bit behind on these things. They've just introduced them but to get one you have to be subjected, I use the word advisedly, to a carers' assessment. Without me my husband can and will do nothing for himself, he will get up, sit in a chair, not wash or dress and will eat bread and jam until the bread runs out and he'd be terribly anxious and distressed. I need to know that something is in place if I can't care for him but there is no way we will again go through the process of being fobbed off, lied to and, after a fight, eventually get a carers' assessment only to be told that we don't qualify for anything, no doubt including an Emergency Card. I can't believe that they make it so difficult and demand that you go through a full carers' assessment to get something as essential as a Carers' Emergency Card and the knowledge that the person you care for won't be abandoned, uncared for, in an emergency. The only justification I can think of is that it keeps social workers in a job because it certainly doesn't benefit carers or those they care for and the cost of carrying out the assessments would be better spent on providing emergency services. I'm thinking of getting an SOS Talsiman with my mother's and sister's phone numbers, my mother could only look after him briefly until services are in place and my sister is in NZ but at least I'd have some way of alerting services via them that he needed to be cared for, it's that or forge the LA's card and hope no-one notices Image .
I carry a card, but I made it myself, with details of who to contact in an emergency, stating that I am sole carer for my partner etc.
I have carried it for a long while, before any talk of an Emergency Card.
And I didn't need an assessment to be able to do it.