[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
English at school - Carers UK Forum

English at school

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
This is nothing to do with caring, but it's been bugging me for such a long time, I would appreciate your thoughts. Here goes.
Remember when we were back in school, having our English grammar lessons? Well, I for one, was taught that if we were referring to a person then we wrote/said 'who', 'whom'
eg. sentance: "It was the old lady who said it." "All the residents who live in South Road."

More and more and more these days, everywhere I go, everything I listen to on the TV/radio, everyone I meet says:

"It was the old lady THAT said it." and "All the residents THAT live in South Road."

If you use THAT, it refers to an inanimate object, like a chair or a table.

Am I correct in thinking that the grammar which is used isn't correct? I can't help it, being a secretary by trade and being taught the old school way of writing and using grammar.
It's just DRIVING ME NUTS, EVERY TIME I HEAR IT, I WANT TO SCREAM AT SOMEONE.
You are right Fran, it's me who has to make spelling corrections in my sons English books, as well as grammar corrections to the best of my ability.
The one that gets me yelling at the TV is when people (and I'm including presenters and reporters here) say "off of" ....

my English teacher would be weeping if she heard it Image
Off of - terrible use of language and very widely used Image
What about the use of "he should of" when they really mean "he should have" ... that drives me barmy. Image
Text speak is acceptable as proper grammar these days.
listen or watch the bbc.english has been so degraded asto be murdered,in my view.its outragous and an utter scandal.
listen or watch the bbc.english has been so degraded asto be murdered,in my view.its outragous and an utter scandal.
I agree Maxi. I settled down earlier to watch the '66 cup final with my son(he has been wanting to watch it for ages) and to hear the wonderful commentary was an absolute pleasure, nothing like the way commentators speak in this day and age.
I think the real problem we face with language now is the rate of change. Language has always developed, altered, changed to suit the needs of the time. William Shakespeare didn't always spell his name the same way, and the River Thames had at least 3 different spellings at that time - Thames, Thamys and Thaymes if I remember correctly. Yes, I'm older than I look Image Image

Try reading a book written 50 years ago and the use of language is very different from a book written a hundred years before that. The grammar is subtly different, certain words are more likely to crop up, etc.

But the rate of change is enormous now, partly fuelled by the use of the internet: Americanisms, always an issue ever since talkies and Hollywood, no longer creep into our language, they are virtually forced in. Americanised spellings of words - "color" for example - are used almost interchangeably with "real" English.

And we even use text speak here...LOL... Image

I'm having an "old" day today...
we are blessed with a unique gift,English.yet,its usage,now,is in-fact,primitive.the media,sky and the beeb,as two examples of dumbing-down,rendering this wonderfull gift,dull,grunted and aimed at a very lacking viewer or listener.

the sun seems to aim its efforts at the most basic of learner-reader who has few words and whose interests seem to revolve around footballers,their wives,divorces,boozed-nights-out,and thats about it.

as the viewing and listening public decend into slang,monocylabic "yer" "No" and describe a member of the opposite sex they find attracticve as:"Fit" you know we are regressing into the primitive.