[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Electronically Tagging The Elderly - Carers UK Forum

Electronically Tagging The Elderly

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Sorry, I thought April Fools Day was the first, not the 19th Image

Has anyone else read the story in todays Mirror paper, the Science Minister Malcolm Wicks wants to us the same technology they use for criminals to 'keep tabs on the frail and the elderly' - he's quoted as saying that it might stop families worrying about 'what's happening to an 80 or 90 year old with Alzheimers'

For gods sake these are people with an illness not a criminal, it's not like taking the cat to be microchipped, what we need is better care not Big Brother tactics.

I've just read this out to Mum and she said if anyone tried to tag her she'd tell them exactly where to stick it Image
I've just emailed Mr. Wicks with my comments:-

Dear Mr Wicks

I am writing to you today to express my total disgust at comments made by yourself suggesting that technology used to keep tabs on criminals should be used on elderly and frail members of society.

I am a full time carer for my disabled Mum and I would be appalled if anyone tried to do this to her, she's a veteran of WW2 and this is how you propose that her generation should be cared for - she's not a pet you take to the vets to be microchipped.

What this Government should be doing is providing the funding for proper residential or home care and looking at the valuable job carers do and providing the appropriate funding to make sure that elderly and frail members of our society are not in a position where they would need to be 'tagged' or does this Government class illness as a crime these days?

I look forward to your response on this matter.

Will he reply, I doubt it Image
Dear Paula: I saw this on the early morning tv, i thought it was a joke at first, but then i saw the idiot talking about it. When i said that the governments of the future would do such things people said i was over reacting, we are getting closer to orwells ideas everyday, the only diffrence is that it is the law abiding that will be monitored and the yobs and scum who make everyones life hell will be sent on nice holidays. Things used to be private but not anymore, today my doctor told me that some of my medical records were being distributed to a new government department for research, when i said that no one had asked my permission, the reply i got was that the imformation used was not that personal and that i was helping with research and that i should not worry about it, it would have been nice to have been asked.
The next bright idea from some MP will be to put micro chips in all the elderly and their carers just like they now put in dogs and cats.

Tony. Image
Has anyone thought it is to save money!!
Less staff,less supervision,less responsibility etc!
Use the spy in the sky instead of human contact!!
Just where is humanity in this day and age?
just an added thought, It wouldnt stop there!!
are they concidering tagging other disabilities too?
Has anyone thought it is to save money!!
Less staff,less supervision,less responsibility etc!
Use the spy in the sky instead of human contact!!
Just where is humanity in this day and age?
Humanity died 60 years ago. Now there are only burearocrats in charge.
Hi
If the person had put more thought into what he was saying it could be a good idea it would help people like my late uncle that would just get up and wander off while my auntie was sleeping.
It could work and if ever I get in that situation I would like to think that someone could find me quickly and that I would come to no harm.
It would take the doubt away of my family wondering where I had got to.
These are my personal thoughts on the subject and I wouldn't want it made compulsory only those family's that wanted this technology.
John.
Hello Myrtle: I remember my mother saying that as far as she was concerned this country that she loved so much at one time was now in the hands of a group of people who have never had to make the sacrifices that her generation did, like fighting for ones freedom, these people she said are quite prepared to sacrifice other people in there race to change this country, but do not understand self sacrifice, thats one of the reasons they do not really understand or are bothered about the elderly or carers, this government looks upon the sick and frail and the elderly as a burdon on society, when infact this country should cherish the elderly and frail otherwise in the future governments will start putting us into camps to get rid of the problem.Now you may think that i have gone mad, but if this country continues to treat its frail and elderly like it does now, then the future does not look great, i am getting emails everyday on my website telling me of cases of terrible abuse and poor care, does a country that was once so great allow its most frail members of society to be treated in such a poor way, the answer to that question is yes it does allow those groups of people to be poorly treated, they just do not care anymore, they have more concern for the rights of prisoners, asylum seekers, criminals, paedophiles, the rights of all these groups are taken care off, but sod the people who sacrificed practically everything for this generation.
I use to be proud of this country, just like my mum was, but not any longer, this country is now only to be laughed at and pittied, if i did have children today i would never let them join any of the forces as we have nothing worth fighting for anymore, i was born here so my rights mean nothing anymore, i could say a lot more but i would most probably be banned from this site, sorry to waffle on everyone but these things really annoy me.

Best Wishes Tony. Image Image
Hi
If the person had put more thought into what he was saying it could be a good idea it would help people like my late uncle that would just get up and wander off while my auntie was sleeping.
It could work and if ever I get in that situation I would like to think that someone could find me quickly and that I would come to no harm.
It would take the doubt away of my family wondering where I had got to.
These are my personal thoughts on the subject and I wouldn't want it made compulsory only those family's that wanted this technology.
John.
Both my Aunt & Uncle had Alzheimers and they did have incidents where they were 'lost' for a while before someone found them and I agree it's a worry but the thing that really hacked me off about this was the lack of respect for these poor people - yes, they're ill and they're vunerable but wouldn't the money that would be wasted on 'tags' be better spent on proper medical and if needed residential care.

As for them finding anyone who wanders off, hell they lose that many young offenders with tags it wouldn't make a bit of difference if you were tagged or not Image

Paula
the hands of a group of people who have never had to make the sacrifices that her generation did, like fighting for ones freedom
You know my feelings on this Tony, Mum often says to me she wonders why her generation bothered to fight through a war when they're now treated so badly Image