[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Donor Cards - Carers UK Forum

Donor Cards

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is well.

There has been a rather heated debate in our house this afternoon over the use of donor cards.It started calm enough when someone mentioned my mams liver transplant and asked if I carried a donor card.When I said I did, others joined in the chat.Views ranged from agreement with my actions to the more extreme....those of horror that I could entertain such an idea.Then you had a few people who thought it should be compulsory.

My hubby does not carry one but like everything its all down to personal choice.
To be honest, I did not carry one till after mam had her transplant.You read leaflets,stories in newspapers but till it affects you personally it tends to be just that.Read and forgotten about.

All I know is, that words could never convey to the family who donated their wifes/mams liver
so that my own mams life was saved.She was with us another 10 years because of that family.

I would love to hear opinions from members here.

Love to all
Rosemary
My cousin's son was born without kidneys. He is now a man full grown, with a whole life and a great future, because one poor family, in the middle of their grief, thought of others. All my family carry donor cards.
And I think you should have to 'opt out' not 'opt in' as regards to donation.
Hi Rosemary & Myrtle,
It's great to know that lives can be saved through organ donation. After all, we dont need 'em when we're dead and buried do we? I would gladly donate a kidney or bone marrow to a close relative (when alive!) and I regularly donate blood. Not sure if anyone would want my liver after death though, considering the amount of wine I've consumed so far this evening (whole day with Mum, so need to relax!!). Yes, I agree with you Myrtle, that it should be an "opt out" system rather than "opt in". I believe there are many people who would gladly donate, but apathy prevents them from registering.
Hope everyone has a lovely bank holiday Image
To be honest it's not something I've ever thought about - I think if you've had personal experience of transplants within your own family then you are more sensitive to the subject.

I have often thought about signing up as a blood donor, I did get the leaflets before I left work but have never had the courage to do it - I'm not great with blood (especially my own!) or needles.

Interesting topic Rosemary Image
Dear Rosemary: If i could have given my mother one of my lungs she could of had it but that was never possible, but i believe that it is an individual persons choice, there is no wrong or right answer.

All the best Tony Image
Yes I would gladly donate my organs and have often thought about giving blood with Mum needing a blood transfusion a few times, but I'm scared of needles Image Even getting the flu injection last year I nearly passed out! I'm ok seeing other people ie Mum get bloods done, once it comes near me my legs turn to jelly!
I've carried an organ donor card since I was 18.

Everybody in my family knows about it - my parents carry them too. My wife does, but our sons don't: it has to be a personal choice and an informed one.
I'm afraid I'm at odds with most of you on this thread. I am strongly opposed to organ donation of any sort for any reason. This is a personal, moral, non-religious belief but my family have been told that under no circumstances should I be given a transplant nor should my organs be used.

Now brand new organs grown by tissue culture would be a different matter, and I understand that development in this field is rapid.

Interestingly, recently I have read about the first hints of evidence that in transplanting organs one also transfers some sort of memory from the donor to the recipient. I believe the cases referred to were of people who, after transplants, had vestigal memories of events from the donor's lives which they could not possibly have known about. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this, but it was quite possibly in 'The Week' magazine. Raises quite a few interesting questions about the nature of memory.
hi johnrush i dont now reading about it im shore i see a program about it a while ago?. look at the time got to go. night night.
A long time ago, I could find no reason for not carrying a donor card and giving blood. I have not seen or heard of any good reason since, either, so I have carried a donor card since my late teens and have given blood much of that time too. As someone said earlier, once I am dead, I won't need my transplantable organs, so why not give life (or improved quality of life)?

For those who have not got around to giving blood, please make the effort. Only about 6% - that's right, six percent of the people who could give blood, do so. If you don't like needles (I don't either) you do not have to see the needle if you do not want to. Let the nurse who does the preliminary health check know that you are nervous of needles, all the staff I have met are very, very kind and helpful. Also, you can make appointments now to fix the time you go in, so no hanging around for ages.