[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Do your family help with caring duties? - Carers UK Forum

Do your family help with caring duties?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I want to know if other peoples families help them when it comes to caring.

my aunty refuses to help my mum care for my grandad, my mum is run ragged but just because she gets the 50 off quid a week my aunty believes my mum should be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week with no rest.
she also seems to think that just because my mum is a carer, she has no daughterly duties to do.
she won't even do the simplest thing such as take my grandad out for dinner or visit!!

to read more about my mums story go here: http://bit.ly/myaunty
I want to know if other peoples families help them when it comes to caring.

my aunty refuses to help my mum care for my grandad, my mum is run ragged but just because she gets the 50 off quid a week my aunty believes my mum should be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week with no rest.
she also seems to think that just because my mum is a carer, she has no daughterly duties to do.
she won't even do the simplest thing such as take my grandad out for dinner or visit!!

to read more about my mums story go here]http://bit.ly/myaunty[/url]
Hi,

My husband & I care alone & now he's in hospital there is nobody to care for his caree his family & my family don't want to know career's often care alone.
Hi
Hubbys has 4 sisters and 1 brother and none of them help.
He has had a severe stroke and is mentally and physically disabled.
I do all for him-washing, dressing, he can eat himself but obviously I have the house to run, shopping, finances, driving, pushing him in the wheelchair and he's 17 stone (he has lost 3 stone).
I have arthritis everywhere and I am running on empty at the moment. Not sure how much I can take as he is being assessed for vascular dementia caused by the stoke.
I dread the future.
Hi Daylily, just wanted you to know that I am wishing really hard for you to have a good outcome from your hubbys assessment. I shall be thinking of you and send you one of my gigantic hugs. You are a star!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Daylily, just wanted you to know that I am wishing really hard for you to have a good outcome from your hubbys assessment. I shall be thinking of you and send you one of my gigantic hugs. You are a star!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello, I'm just having a really bad day. I am sooooo exhausted I can hardly stand up and it's only 3pm.
Thanks for hugs- it does help
anne.xx
I feel for all those who have to struggle on their own.

Luckily I'm fit and healthy (more than ever now) but I too am caring alone. I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers (nearest is Aberdeen, furthest is Texas) and though it would be impossible for them to physically help, they could at least ask. In all the years that TJ has been suffering only 1 has ever asked how she is. It has now reached the stage that only 1 is still on my christmas list. TJ's parents would love to help but since her mother had a stroke this time last year they have their own issues to deal with. She has almost fully recovered but can no longer drive.

So apart from the odd phone call from my mum and sister Heather, and the odd visit tofrom TJ's parents it all rests with me.

This forum and those on it, make it all a bit, make that A LOT easier.

TJ gave me my christmas card today, she wrote 'for all that you are and all that you do.'
That beats a weeks CA!
Unfortunately no, due to the fact that they all live so far away. It's not there fault, we chose to move away (before need for care was as great). An unfortunate outcome of this is that in our family's minds we are just the same and have the same level of carer needs as we had before we moved (15 years ago).

We are and have been very lucky though to have some very good friends that would and have on many occasion, stepped up to the mark and done whatever has been needed to be done when we have needed help.

I am convinced though that there is an understanding that should the need arise and a call for help to the family go out that help would be forthcomming, and given gladly.

NO

NO
NO

Boy, that one word spoke volumes. Image Image
hi. Hubby has been really weird lately which is why I'm so tired.
For the last 4 years after his stroke he's slept 10/12 hours day/night giving me a much needed break as he cannot do much for himself.
Now , just this last week, he's hardly sleeping at all, he's just following me around, constantly asking the time. We've clocks all over the place!!!!
The Doc's sending him for memory tests as he's been getting worse in all aspects instead of improving. It looks like it might be vascular dementia, we'll know better after the tests but the Doc came to the house and did some basic tests and said there were areas of concern.
Bless him, he's lovely but it's driving me nuts not having any breathing space.
Thanks for hugs Audrey
anne.xx