[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Do Councils have a legal duty? - Carers UK Forum

Do Councils have a legal duty?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
To provide day care when someone has already been assessed as entitled to it?
Hubby has had two days daycare for the past three years, then a year ago we went on to DP, and one of those days was exchanged for money to spend as we liked, the other day staying at council day care centre. That centre is now being closed, with no suitable alternative being offered. Do we have the right to insist on the remaining day as daycare provided by the council, or can they force us to have it in the form of extra DP funding. This, of course, would be useless, as day care opportunities are not available in the private sector.
As well the council here know!
Give Carersline a ring,they may be able to help clarify the situation.
It is staffed by experts and has years of experience of dealing with the problems carers face. They provide free and confidential information and advice on:

benefits and tax credits
carers employment rights
carers assessments
the services available for carers, and how to complain effectively and challenge decisions.
Our freephone number is 0808 808 7777 and we are open on Wednesday and Thursday 10am -12pm and 2pm - 4pm

There was supposed to always remain a choice but I know in our area already, that as more people access DPs and demand for day centre placements lessen that many centres are closing .Also here, the centres that are still open are having to increase their prices so much and even transports costs have gone through the roof.Many ill/disabled who are not in receipt of DPs are actually suffering as the centres close.They have no where to go and miss the contact with friends they have made over the years.

Hope it works out for you,keep us posted please.

Rosemary
x x
It's my understanding that before any closure can happen all of the service's users have to have a reassessment of their needs: in some cases this might be additional direct payments which could be used to provide activities but of course it's not the same thing as friendships could be broken up by the closure by losing the opportunity to continue contact. Unless that was a part of the assessment...
you can push for a JUDICIAL REVIEW.
we have been all through reassessments, all four of them, but the problem is partly the age thing, too old for under 55s, too young for over 65s! And its all good and well having extra DP payments but what good is the money if there is nothing to spend it on! I have tried to find day care which just provides an escape from the house (and me!) and a cup of tea and a chat with others, but it is just not available unless you are an OAP. Even our social worker has no suggestions!
Its really frustrating, as although we are happy together, we'd both like a break now and them....
I really need a regular day which I can rely on, so that I can plan my things, such as hospital appointments, doctors, etc.
I even tried to get to a college course, but when transport for day care failed to arrive, I lost my place on course!
Hi Izzywizz

know what you mean Image

Our local libraries have Scrabble meetings once a week; and some of the local Churches have coffee mornings where all are welcome regardless of age. There are also some 'hobby' clubs in our area that cover things like photography; local history etc. All of them are advertised in our local councils bi-monthly magazine.

susieq
One of the problems I am encounting, is because my hubby is in a wheelchair, a lot of places do not have the trained care staff and/or the toilet facilities that he needs. Even the alternative council care place that they want him to go to doesn't have the toilet facilities. Talk about double standards! I think that is breaching their own health and safety guidelines.
It's also in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act...
yes, Charles, I've tried to tell them that...
now I find that the meeting to which I was invited - and then uninvited - to on Thursday, is not to discuss where he will be going for day care, but yet another "consultation" meeting to ask us, for the umpteenth time, what we are looking for in terms of day care!

Honestly, its like talking to a brick wall. The services know what we want, we have told them enough times. I, personally, have been to four general meetings about this, but still they want to ask us.
My theory is that the council knows that if they come up with a solid plan, then they will be duty bound to see it through, but if the ideas come from the "clients" (don't you just hate that word) then they can come up with all sorts of excuses why it isn't possible...then again, maybe I watched far too much X Files Image
I've no doubt you've tried to tell them, Izzywizz. Both in terms of discrimination and in terms of what you want.

Maybe they are trying to get you to change your message into something they want to deliver?? Image