[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
District nurses' role - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

District nurses' role

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I had similar problems when my OH came out of hospital with a chest drain. The hospital were adamant that I call the DN's at any time if it needed changing or looking at even though I was capable of changing the bag etc. The DN's made me feel as though I was being a big nuisance telling me I should change it myself.
No you're not being too sensitive they do make you feel as if you are a nobody who knows nothing.

You are all stars, hugs to you all.

Karen xx
Hubby has to have manual evacuation every time too, because his muscles are rubbish due to his spinal injury. Either the PA does it every other day or I do it, every other day. In the past days when we used the DNs to do this, they would turn up to put the enema in and then go away to see other people and sometimes it used to be two or three hours before they would come back to do the evacuation (often a different one to the one who started it!). The problem was that enemas usually work after 10 or so minutes with hubby and if you don't 'catch' it then, he loses all will to do any at all. So waiting a number of hours for someone to call back to finish things, was ridiculous, because when they did return, he'd lost the feeling to 'go'. This procedure is critical, because if it's not done properly or hubby is left, he can get autonomic dysrelexia, overheating, heart failure and so on, because of the pressure of poo in his bowels. The DNs in those days just didn't understand how important it was and how life threatening it would be. Now that we take care of all of it ourselves, things are much better. AND we're not tied to waiting in all morning for DNs to arrive, when all we want to do is get up and go out. It takes 2 hours to get hubby up and shaved/dressed etc on a normal morning. On a 'tummy day', it takes nearer 3. And that's with us doing it. I understand your dismay at the DNs treatment of your loved one, left in the hoist for the PA to sort out. My training for it from a DN was 'you stick the enema in there and wait ........'. That was it. No training on manual evacuations, how to do it or how not to do it. I was on my own with only hubby to guide me, I was very scared and if I couldn't get the poo to come out, I was in tears thinking it was all my fault. Come on all you MPs - come and spend a week in our house. PLEASE.
I would just like to tell you how much admiration I have for you all, who do such personal care for your loved ones. I'm not sure if I could do it (then again, I suppose that needs must).....who knows, one day I may have to.
((((((hugs)))))))) to you all xx
Thank you, that's really nice. Image Image
I would just like to tell you how much admiration I have for you all, who do such personal care for your loved ones. I'm not sure if I could do it (then again, I suppose that needs must).....who knows, one day I may have to.
((((((hugs)))))))) to you all xx
I agree with Caring´s words 100%...
All I can say is a big THANK YOU for all your words. Same thing, you see.... most people think that PAs and DNs and GPs take care of everything like that. Hmmmmm, NOT TRUE. You just get used to it, but scary at first, not born to be a carer - ALTHOUGH after 2 kids, it's not that bad. Not pleasant, but not that bad. Having had kids and all that gunky business that goes with it, helps enormously.
Thanks, guys.
Thanks Bell and Pamela for your lovely words, I must admit I absolutely hate this personal side of caring, I really don't like changing my Mum and cleaning up someone else's 'waste' everyday, 24/7. The DN's told me last week that I should only change my Mum 4 times in a 24 hour period - yeah right, come and live my life for a week.
Although during my childhood my Dad had a catheter and bowel problems I was too young to have to clean him, but I can still smell the pressure sores to this day and in those days we had no help whatsover with his care.

Fran, you had a head start on me as I've never had children (by choice) so I never had the experience of this beforehand. Image