[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Before I leave this forum .... - Carers UK Forum

Before I leave this forum ....

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Its just a thought,
but are some long time 24/7 carers in a mild form of Stockholme syndrome?

x
Its just a thought,
but are some long time 24/7 carers in a mild form of Stockholme syndrome?

x
Stockholm Syndrome is, if I remember correctly, a situation where kidnappees become closer to their kidnappers, or hostages to terrorists. Patty Hearst was one of the more extreme versions of this, having been arrested for armed robbery some while after her kidnapping..

I would have thought that with a 24/7 and long term carer it could become a kind of reverse Stockholm Syndrome in that the tiredness and sustained level of care could lead to a carer feeling more like a hostage...
Iam sure i am as you all know i care for my mother "the old doll" and have done full time since 1997 but 24/7 since 2006 we work as a team or a partnership call it what you like but we have become "a couple" it does not worry me at all but i just wish now and again i could have a few weeks trial seperation.
I think of me and amy as a team,, but she does get me in trouble- making me laugh when matts trying to watch TV tut tut lol
I think of me and amy as a team,, but she does get me in trouble- making me laugh when matts trying to watch TV tut tut lol
Oh dear!!
I try to think that me and the mrs are a happy medium....................without the crystal ball
I agree with Charles it definitely becomes more of a REVERSED Stockholm Syndrome - after all we usually start caring for someone that we are already close to, with whom we already have a close relationship. But after caring 24/7 for any length of time we begin to wish that we weren't so close and that there was a a b****y great distance between us Image Image Image Image Image Image
I agree with Charles and susieq,
I have known many 24/7 carers over the years who have been 'broken'.
i do think it helps alot though comming on here,, we dont get so "broken" as we know we are not alone, and people who have been carers have a wealth of knowledge and support to offer as much some one still in the role
Well, all I can say is, ditto to most of you here, if it werent for this forum sometimes I'd go mad because there are other people here going thru things, no matter who or how we care or who are caree is, we all get the same emotions somewhere down the line, wanting to run fast, or stick it out, all done with a deep felt love, and devotion, but we are only human and have needs too and things do get us down