[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Me, me, me - Carers UK Forum

Me, me, me

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I thought this article was quite shocking. The poor mother whose dignity and privacy are invaded for the sake of a newspaper article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... g-her.html

Quite made my blood boil.
oh yes, me too! She is quite the most odious woman. I posted my comments very early this morning.

There's a few very good comments on there now - but what does she care? This was only yet another DM article to promote her book - which I would never, ever read as my blood pressure would be so high by the end of the first chapter that I would look like the Michelin man!
I had very mixed emotions when I read this. I have been a carer for 34 years, and have wished with all my heart that I hadn't had to sacrifice every single dream I ever had because I had a trainee midwife working without enough supervision who left me with a brain damaged baby. As my son grew older I studied for a degree in readiness for the time he would inevitably leave home, so at last I could have a life of my own. Weeks after he became a boarder at school, mum had a botched operation and again I had no alternative but to care for her; and then mum in law, father, and father in law all became ill too. People are living longer, when the average life expectancy was 70, the children of those people would be in their 30's and 40's, generally fit and well. Now, as people are living longer, the children of the elderly are in their 50's and 60's, often with health problems of their own. I really don't know what the answer is, but I certainly identify with all the problems!!! Whilst I don't like the writing style of this article at all, if no one talks about the grim realities how can things ever improve?
Trouble is Bowlingbun, I don't think she has done justice to the grim reality. The way I read it was that she was telling us how wonderful she was to "care" for her Mum for one day! As a DM reader said, if the Mother has this "wonderful" carer who is being paid the minimum wage (and how awful LJ thinks this is) - then instead of spending every penny on designer goods, animals and having thousands of pounds worth or renovations done to her various homes - why doesn't she give the carer a little extra to make life a bit better for her?

Yes I agree that the realities of being a carer should be publicised at every given opportunity - but I would prefer it if it were real carers that told the grim facts, not this self-serving, ghastly woman. Image