[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Discharging yourself from hospital? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Discharging yourself from hospital?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Good to hear you have a date to work to BUT don't run yourself ragged between now and then, take a day or two off from visiting to relax, as it's going to be pretty full on for a while once your OH is home and settling in.
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm
BUT don't run yourself ragged between now and then,
I've been hoovering & dusting regularly, and the laundry is more up to date than usual with me doing it! :)

I did have to clean the toilet the other day, including the underside of the seat :shock: after my Colonoscopy prep.
Funny how the pressure builds up. Glad you feel a bit relieved and you'll have a few days to see how the pump is working before she comes home.
Rosemary_1706 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm
Funny how the pressure builds up. Glad you feel a bit relieved and you'll have a few days to see how the pump is working before she comes home.
She's decided against the pump, I queried with her if it was to avoid the discharge being cancelled/extended but said she didn't want the op to insert it.

It's her decision, I may have made the same decision in her position, I don't know, I don't have her problems.

She probably feels she's had enough poking and prodding for a while and she still has the SP catheter to be fitted.
Hi,

That sounds very similar to our situation a few years back.

We realised that all the delays and conditions imposed by the SS were somewhat 'questionable'

I was told my wife needed a hoist to transfer out of bed and that it would take SIX months for the NHS to supply one. I daftly believed them and used the good old plastic (I still have my old credit rating). It stands in the corner unused and a slide board works perfectly.

Social Services stated that my wife had to go into rehab and probably be transferred into 'temporary care' before being released. The rehab manager didn't understand why someone in their 50s and disabled since 8 needed rehab, and she was 'too young'. The hospital were happy to release her but without a care plan they were blocked.

On her 27th day Chrysi signed herself out and there was no problem with the hospital. Even the ambulance men were supportive and aware of the situation with the SS about care plans.

The SS have ,thankfully, taken the huff and we get a phone call every 18 months to 2 years checking if they can sell us anything. The latest was a shopper for groceries - the woman calling seemed blank when I told her about home deliveries at a much cheaper cost.

One thing that will make your life easier is getting catheter supplies from Bullen ( http://www.bullens.com/ ) They supply not only the prescription items but a load of free items - wet wipes, dry wipes, scented waste bags, gloves and more. They phone once a month and go through the list of things with you (or your wife) and sort everything with your GP surgery. It saves us a fortune with the free stuff.

Good luck,

Jon

P.S. The 27 days was the time when all benefits for Chrysi would have stopped on the 28th day and she couldn't face the hassle of me doing all the re-claiming.