[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Disability Hate - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Disability Hate

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
These incidents always boil down to a very small number of people - it's wrong to suppose that he whole world thinks like this and live a life of paranoia.
Obviously the whole world doesn't think in this way but enough of them do for me as a parent to have serious worries for my children when I am no longer around, it isn't paranoid, it's parenting a disabled child. I prefer not to think everything will just pan out as so far it never has on other issues, much better to be as prepared as possible and make the best arrangements possible.
Vicky
I have given up with the police. They are not interested in disabled people or Carers.
I have given up with the police. They are not interested in disabled people or Carers.
Me too!

On our estate there are 3 young adults with Downs Syndrome and thankfully everyone is ok with them, we also have a lad with Tourettes.
One thing I noticed when making complaints is that they were far more effective if I offered possible practical solutions - hints and tips or whatever. These people in authority are not really all that clever- they are less likely to ignore a complaint if you have something to offer. Another way to get your foot in the door is to butter them up about something first rather than going the Deeply Disgusted of Tonbridge Wells route. If you just keep telling them they are crap(even if they are)you don't get anywhere with them.
Why did the judge say they picked on her because she was "odd"!
She isn't odd she is disabled, we really do have an awful long way to go, the only odd people involved in that story were the perpetrators who are extremely odd among other things.
Vicky
What a stupid thing for a judge to say Image I think he must be the oddball one to make comments like that because he obviously doesn't live in the 21st Century, or on this planet for that matter Image
Article in the Telegraph

Rosa, who herself has a 15‑year-old with Down's syndrome, filmed the lives of three families, and of one man living alone, who are persecuted because of their disability. Their suffering is caused not by the public authorities – though Rosa is critical of failures by those authorities to respond – but by neighbours.
Interesting... I have often come across seemingly kind people who are well educated but ,who I know, hold the view that disabled people shouldn't be allowed to be born. A lot of them are called Doctors! I have also come across few intellectual types who are great believers in eugenic solutions even though they themselves have failed to put their expensive advanced education to any use and live off the state. There are some strange people out there Image
Christopher Burke, who lives by himself in Hastings, is an intelligent, amusing, eccentric man, skilful with computers and very interested in music. His head is oddly shaped because he is hydrocephalous. "I look like an Orc," he says sadly. He carries extra change whenever he goes out so that he can use it to buy off the people in the street who threaten him. He has scars where a girl poured boiling water on his legs.

There is a wound on his head because, recently, a man came up to him and said: "What's it like being a retard?" Christopher's quick response was: "That's funny. I was going to ask you the same question." For this he was hit on the head by the man's ring-encrusted fist before being knocked to the ground and having his teeth kicked out.

Good for him for coming up with that witty one-liner, I have watched all the programme, and all the people featured wished that they were different, this is appalling, they do not need to change in any way shape or form, it's the ignorant cowardly bullies who choose to persecute these amazing people who are suffering enough because of their disability, they have not commited a crime or harming anyone it makes me sick, I hope that the powers that be wake up and see that this cannot continue - makes me so angry!
What a stupid thing for a judge to say Image I think he must be the oddball one to make comments like that because he obviously doesn't live in the 21st Century, or on this planet for that matter Image
Take it from me, some judges (and barristers for that matter) just do not have a clue about the real world.

When I was doing some work experience recently, I was shadowing a very experienced senior barrister, the case we were doing involved an alibi that the defendant was shopping in Wilkinsons at the time of the alleged offence. He turned to me at one point and asked me "what type of things are sold in Wilkinsons" Image
Interesting... I have often come across seemingly kind people who are well educated but ,who I know, hold the view that disabled people shouldn't be allowed to be born.
Ditto, problem with people like that is because they are 'well educated' they won't even bother to take into account your argument.
We have fortunatley only ever had minor incidents. On one occassion a group of kids 11 to 12 thought it would be fun to play ringing our bell which I know is a thing kids do but these kids all knew my OH she had helped many of them learn to read in the local school in the early years.

But thought it fun to ring on the bell and wait hiding in our garden till she struggled to the door to get it open only to find no one there about 10 times on day.

As a result she rang me at work in tears, she could tell me who they were as she could see them in the garden.

I drove home at breakneck speed cornered each of them seperatley and explained if they wanted to continue I would help them see what it was like to struggle to the door when you could not use your legs just for some little S$%£ to run away.

That might have been the wrong approach but it worked especially when they ran home and told Mum and Dad how nasty I had been. To the parents credit once they got the full story out of the kids they were jointly marched to our house to apologise and give my OH a large bunch of flowers which I believe they had been forced to pay for themselves.

No it wasn't the fifties it was still possible in the 00s but it would not have worked if the parents had not been prepared to be responsible for the actions of their kids rather than just clobber me.

Why am I saying this well I suppose I think we do need at least the idea behind the big society things are only going to get better if we all care for each other and I do think for the most part these days kids and hopefully the adults they will become are far more respectfull of others rights and their responsibilities.

There will always be the scum element who will confirm the stereotypes and will not be affected by the rest of us, and that ultimatley means we need such people taken to courts and removed form society for a period whilst they reflect on their stupidity and disgusting behaviour, not an ASBO I hasten to clarify.