[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Disability Hate - Carers UK Forum

Disability Hate

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Today, 22:35 on BBC One (except Northern Ireland, Wales)
Synopsis
In a revealing and moving documentary, disability rights campaigner and confidante of the late Princess Diana, Rosa Monckton, exposes the reality of life for people with learning disabilities facing hate crime.

With daily headline-grabbing accounts of attacks on disabled people that have even led to murder and suicide, Rosa admits she is deeply concerned about the future that awaits her own teenage daughter, Domenica, who has Down's syndrome. What will life be like for her once Rosa and her husband Dominic Lawson are no longer around to protect her?

In this, Rosa's second documentary, we see people literally driven from their homes, individuals facing abuse and daily torment just because they have a disability. Rosa meets families under siege in their own homes, and shows how the authorities often fail to respond effectively to the abuse they face. And she tries to help one tormented man, Christopher, in his battle to live independently as a respected and useful member of society.
Thanks for flagging this up Vicky.

x
Thanks Vicky.
I work with some great people,some who,by the worlds standards,have,what is termed:"Learning Difficulties".I find these to be really lovelly human beings,its a true joy to work alongside these kind souls.Its,a REAL Priveledge.

SICK indeed it is to hear of these vile hate-crimes.cowardly,loathsome,i cant really find polite words for this.

we must all be aware of these wretched crimes.deplore them.When such acts are done to any such victim,those who do them devalue our society.

WE must speak-up for those victims.
What I really don't understand that that the people who harm others are human beings too. How do their brains work? What makes people cruel to others?I can't understand someone looking at another human being and wanting to hurt him/her for any reason.
I work with some great people,some who,by the worlds standards,have,what is termed]

I agree with you Maxi, however I don't like to pigeon hole a person who has learning disability into catergories, just because he or she has different educational requirements from the mainstream education system, I always look at what a person can do rather than what they cannot.
What I really don't understand that that the people who harm others are human beings too. How do their brains work? What makes people cruel to others?I can't understand someone looking at another human being and wanting to hurt him/her for any reason.

Lazydaisy from what I have read of your post you sound like a kind-hearted compasionate person, unlike the evil people who choose to commit hate crimes against disabled peole, the words evil, cowards & lacking remorse and conscience come to mind, and something ought to be done about this fast before more tragedies occur Image
the least appealling of the creators efforts,mankind,while we can deliver a Mozart,we can deliver a Hitler too.

Just as we can create a Mandella so-to we have nurtured a Stalin.

we are capable of great good and utter evil.

worst is we prey on our weakest ones.we attack those least able to fight back.for its our nature,instinct drives us on to root out the most vulnerble,though governments try fregulating our base instincts,scratch the surface,its there,prejudice,hate,ugly too.

we are a pretty animalistic species,and we hit our weakest hardest.

we despise the poor.loath old age,see the unborn child,often,as unwanted,to be terminated.

look at our values.we spend billions on war.we cant find a fraction of the war budget to fund a proper deal for carers.

so,those with learning difficulties are victims of the nasty part of the nature of their fellow human beings.

we are capable of anything,the best the very worst.
It's beyond my comprehension why people can be so cruel.
Well I have just watched it and was shocked to the core! Most of the crimes take place on council estates and I thank god that where I live everyone is fine with Sarah.

I started blubing when Rosa's daughter said she was scared of growing up and still wanted to be Mummys little girl.
I've just watched this online. I 'm not sure I agree with Rosa Monkton's assertion that more "protected communities" eg Camphill should be available. They are in essence a type of asylum. In fact many of the original long stay asylums ( villa plan) were set up on the same principles eg places where the disabled could live safely, supported by helpers in a community setting. That's not integration. I think the best way forward is to have local community initiatives monitor this type of crime and provide hands on support to the vunerable disabled- a sort of Neighbourhood disability Watch. We really need to educate the public- not everyone is against us and with more information and knowledge maybe the decent people around us would become involved and interested in the problems of their disabled neighbours.