[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Direct Payments - Individual Budgets. - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Direct Payments - Individual Budgets.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I'm assuming that you're referring to the carer strategy, Rosemary, and not the tame carers, heaven forbid Image .
I'm assuming that you're referring to the carer strategy, Rosemary, and not the tame carers, heaven forbid Image .
Neither of the above Annie.I was thinking more along the lines of .....
Annie said

an interpreter to make sense of it

I think that it will be a big launch, a few tame carers and a photo shoot, a couple of positive announcements that will benefit very few and the rest, the not so positive and downright negative, will be hidden in verbiage for those of us who make the effort to find out for ourselves. If it's anything like the ESA regs it will be 180 plus pages of government-speak, we'll need all the time in the world or an interpreter to make sense of it Image .
Image Image Good Morning all May I refer you all to page 8 of this morning's Daily mail, two headlines jump out of the page at you,
1. A Social Care Revolution

2. Patients will get an NHS budget of there own

It would appear the BMA (British Medical Association) is not happy and so it begins Image
http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/17938

All over the country a lack of funding and tightening eligibility criteria is resulting in an increasing number of Councils only providing services for those with the most profound needs. People with more moderate needs are finding themselves squeezed out of the system, having vital support services, such as day centres and respite care, cut. As well as having a devastating effect on people’s lives, cuts in services are also a false economy and jeopardise the Government’s prevention agenda.
where's the justice in it all????? I dont get any kind of help only the financial benefits - there seems to be no consideration even though Sophie is severely disabled and Rory has moderate disabilities!!!!!
Justice and fairness go out the window when it comes to local councils and carers and their carees. But I think common sense does as well sometimes. We have DP to pay for home care, over the Bank holiday the agency rightly charged higher rates, SS didn't pay us extra money to cover this, we have had to pay out of our own pocket, then try and contact social worker who will fill in endless forms and try and get it repaid. The prospect of doing this every bank holiday is daunting!
Justice and fairness go out the window when it comes to local councils and carers and their carees. But I think common sense does as well sometimes. We have DP to pay for home care, over the Bank holiday the agency rightly charged higher rates, SS didn't pay us extra money to cover this, we have had to pay out of our own pocket, then try and contact social worker who will fill in endless forms and try and get it repaid. The prospect of doing this every bank holiday is daunting!
Hi Izzywizz,

The whole idea of DP's building up in bank is to cover these circumstances.At least that is what the family who employ me were told.They never have to go through Soc Services about Bank Holidays,just inform fella who does their payroll for them of the change in a particular week.
The only time soc services need consulted is if asking for more hours.You should not be out of pocket.Please check again.

The problem izzywzz highlights is there for all of us.
I was assessed as needing X amount of hours help with care and DPs pay £12 35 per hour for that care.
Even with help from SS and the DP department I could only find that help from an agency and they charge £ 14.65 per hour Mon-Fri----£15.50 per hour Saturdays and £23. 95 per hour bank holidays.
It doesn't take much to work out that the result is I get nowhere near my assessed help hours.

As DPs and personal budgets become the only choice to get care help, there will; be more agencies spring up for the money they allowed to make by charging what they like, they will employ people at minimum wage and as usual , we will get inferior care at extortionate rates.

Agencies should be made to tender for contracts at the DP rates or DP rates should match the agency rates.

Ken