[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Direct Payments - Individual Budgets. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Direct Payments - Individual Budgets.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
This is an example of eligibility criteria......

Critical – when
• Life is, or will be, threatened; and/or
• Significant health problems have developed or will develop; and/or
• There is, or will be, little or no choice and control over vital aspects of the immediate environment; and/or
• Serious abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur; and/or
• There is, or will be, an inability to carry out vital personal care or domestic routines; and/or
• Vital involvement in work, education or learning cannot or will not be sustained; and/or
• Vital social support systems and relationships cannot or will not be sustained; and/or
• Vital family and other social roles and responsibilities cannot or will not be undertaken.

Substantial – when
• There is, or will be, only partial choice and control over the immediate environment; and/or
• Abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur; and/or
• There is, or will be, an inability to carry out the majority of personal care or domestic routines; and/or
• Involvement in many aspects of work, education or learning cannot or will not be sustained; and/or
• The majority of social support systems and relationships cannot or will not be sustained; and/or
• The majority of family and other social roles and responsibilities cannot or will not be undertaken

There are details given for moderate too but as literally no LA pays out in this category I have not posted them.

We both meet the criteria, did from the moment my husband became ill, but it didn't stop us being refused the assistance we needed. Assessments in my experience are very subjective, very much up to the perception of the social worker based on a brief, snapshot view of the individual's situation, they aren't evidence-based so you end up with a care system that can only be likened to a lottery, a postcode lottery, a lottery dependent on the available funds at the time that the assessment is requested and takes place and a lottery dependent on an individual social worker's perceptions and prejudices. When the social care system isn't fit for purpose why isn't the government improving working practices rather than putting more power, and possibly responsibility for administering the funding for claimants' DLA and AA, in the hands of social workers?
I hear what you're saying Annie.Its happening all over.It makes no difference what they roll out if its not being implemented correctly.
I would have to go searching but there was a report a while back in which approx 30% of social workers interviewed on a survey actually admitted to beefing up some peoples details to ensure they got a service of some sort.

And they equally understate other people's needs even when the evidence indicates otherwise. The annual CSCI report repeatedly identifies the problem and long term implications of meeting substantial needs to the exclusion of lesser needs but nothing changes, until the assessment process is more rigourously carried out, there is a proper and user-friendly appeals process rather than the current complaints procedure and sufficient funding is made available the social care system will be riddled with injustices, we read of them daily on these boards and we represent the minority of carers with internet access and carer-board membership.
Over these last few months that is something that has surprised me Annie.I guess I take internet for granted but of all the various events I went to, so many people have no access to a pc.If we look across all the carer forums and how many actively post, the number is so small.Compare that to the 1000's out there in local centres/groups who daily help others and God knows what the ratio would be.

My main concern just now is awareness or should I say lack of.So many carers out there have no idea what is coming.I know the details not known but we do know its going to be big changes and not always for the better either.

Once money given, what happens if needs change within the 12 months period.
With present system been paid monthly if they think the bank account has too much money in when they look at your statements they can reclaim the money from the account but that is open to abuse as well.

If your needs change within 12 months then normally it would be for more money then it is easy to say there ar xx months left in the year and the increase times xx months is how much more needs to be deposited in the bank account.

But MPs councillors and the like are too stupid to think of that aren't they? Image Image
I understand that in this area if money allocated for DPs has not been spent, perhaps because the recipient is saving it for good reason to meet a specific future need for assistance, the needs are considered to have reduced with a knock-on effect on future payments.

The problem with DPs and LA charging policies under the government's guidance is that DPs are only worth accessing if the value of the assessed level of care is significantly higher than the charge to the recipient, for small packages of care the recipient of DPs can find the net value of the social services package is minimal, DPs restrict their expenditure of what would otherwise be their own income to meet criteria set out by the LA and the paperwork, etc. involved is disproportionate to the benefit to the recipient.
.I guess I take internet for granted but of all the various events I went to, so many people have no access to a pc.If we look across all the carer forums and how many actively post, the number is so small.Compare that to the 1000's out there in local centres/groups who daily help others and God knows what the ratio would be.

My main concern just now is awareness or should I say lack of.So many carers out there have no idea what is coming.I know the details not known but we do know its going to be big changes and not always for the better either.

I agree completely , Image without THIS forum I for one would have no idea what this Government is trying to do to us, sorry should read for us. My worry is they (the Government)will try and slide things in via the back door or slip it in on a good/bad news day as we all know it would not be the first time
I think that it will be a big launch, a few tame carers and a photo shoot, a couple of positive announcements that will benefit very few and the rest, the not so positive and downright negative, will be hidden in verbiage for those of us who make the effort to find out for ourselves. If it's anything like the ESA regs it will be 180 plus pages of government-speak, we'll need all the time in the world or an interpreter to make sense of it Image .
I think that it will be a big launch, a few tame carers and a photo shoot, a couple of positive announcements that will benefit very few and the rest, the not so positive and downright negative, will be hidden in verbiage for those of us who make the effort to find out for ourselves. If it's anything like the ESA regs it will be 180 plus pages of government-speak, we'll need all the time in the world or an interpreter to make sense of it Image .
No problem for us Annie,we have you Image Image Image Image Image

x x x