direct payments for carers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I know disabled people can have direct payments but I didnt know they were available to carers. Apparently they are available for hiring a cleaner or holidays and driving lessons!
Does anyone have them or have any knowledge of anyone who does?
Morning Daisy ( lovely name ),

I have to go out soon but please look at the following links

http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewtopi ... t+payments

http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Helpwithcaring

Take care
Rosemary
I have Direct Payments supposed to cover all of 2 hours a week, meant to 'give me more time with' my caree. However, talking to the Social Worker in my 'annual' review (they are running 2 months late) yesterday, I possibly would not get them now.

The SW told me that no-one in this area gets help with shopping or housework now - they are having to tell people who have had this done for them, paid for by SS, that they now have to make their own arrangements. This included a 92 year old lady who had this service for many years.

As an aside, this SW was a very sensible, good to deal with, person. The latest cuts and other changes are such that she says she is now looking forward to retiring in just over a year's time, something she never believed she would say, because she loved the work so much. She was also concerned that now a degree is required (not just a Diploma), we might get social workers who go from school to university, then straight into a SW post (being young and with no seniority, they will be cheaper). No doubt there are some young people who would have the necessary personal qualities and experience to do the job at that point - I wish them luck!
Thanks for the replies,
I had my carers assessment in February and nothing has come of it. I did ask at the time if it would simply be put in a draw and quietly forgotten,it seems I was right.
Thanks for the replies,
I had my carers assessment in February and nothing has come of it. I did ask at the time if it would simply be put in a draw and quietly forgotten,it seems I was right.
I had my Carers assessment in February and all, amf although I haven't had anything back in black and white respite and home care has been given and improved. Its an on going thing here, and I am on their case all the time, I still haven't got the end result by I am pleased so far and optimistic of the end result.

You won't get if you don't ask and you need to keep on at them.
I had my Carers assessment in February and all, amf although I haven't had anything back in black and white respite and home care has been given and improved. Its an on going thing here, and I am on their case all the time, I still haven't got the end result by I am pleased so far and optimistic of the end result.

You won't get if you don't ask and you need to keep on at them.
Similar situation here. After my GP spoke to my care manager Social Services have now discovered that Mum can go to a day centre one day a week (miraculously they 'found' a vacancy), can have a week in respite care once every two months and suddenly we are to get a 'sitter' for two hours twice a week so I can have some genuine time off.

None of this does much for Mum (although she might appreciate a change of company) but it certainly improves my life significantly.
Hi John,

I always think the social care situation is a bit of a lottery with different places having different rules, although basically the rules should all be the same, and not open to mis-interperitation.

Grasp the extra care you have been given with open arms, reflect for a short time, then consider it to be the thin end of the wedge, and keep plodding away to get more for your mum,and yourself in a roundabout way.

I still have to be in two or three places at one time, but at least now I can do it from the comfort of my own home. My dad didn`t want to go to daycare at all, and was conned into a lunchtime visit because I wanted to visit a friend who worked there as he thought. He enjoyed the lunch, knew a few folk who were welcoming, and he`s never looked back and now goes three days a week and would go five if there was a place for him.

Take care
Meg
Well it's that postcode lottery sgsin I'm afraid.

If you live in Scotland there is no Direct Payment for Carers themseves, there never was.
Direct Payment for the disabled person to help with Care yes, DP in the Carers own right - NO!

I tried to challenge this with the Scottish Executive and was told the system south of the border was totally different.
The Scottish Exec. say they presently have no plans to introduce such a service either. Image

I live in a rural area and wanted to access some driving lessons, but it was a no-go I'm afraid.
marie
hello everyone
we have been waiting for a few months now to hear about a ot have got no ware. last week i managed to get hold of a nice nurse & asked her to find out what is going on. she found nothing on mums record & gave me a phone nr to find out myself . found no one has booked anything. grate a.?... Image Image