[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dementia - Carers UK Forum

Dementia

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My Mother is 79yrs old and has been diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. I am her Carer and work full time along with balancing a family of my own. My children are all grown, and supports me some time. There are days I really struggle and feels that I never switch off. I need to find more support out there.
Hi Sharon, Has mum had an assessment from Social Services and have you had one for yourself, a Carer's assessment, to see what help they could offer you? Have you got outside care in place during the time you are working for example? Tell us what you have got in place and maybe we can point out what else should be available to you.
Elaine
Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum, there are many members dealing with dementia. Does mum live with you, or still in her own home? The Needs and Carers Assessments are vital, then you can find out what help is available to you both.
Hello Sharon and welcome to the forum :)
There are days I really struggle and feels that I never switch off. I need to find more support out there.
Have you been in touch with your local branch of the Alzheimer's Society ? (Despite the name they deal with all the different kinds of dementia not just Alzheimer's). Most branches run peer support groups to enable you to get together with other Carer's in similar situations. When I was caring for my Mum our local branch used to run two sessions a week - one daytime for Carer's not working and one evening session for those working. We would meet up for coffee and chat with one of the Society's support workers and swop advice and tips. They also ran a "Memory" Café every week to which we could take our Caree for an outing - always very well attended and enjoyed by all :)

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
Hello. Do you have admiral nurses in your area? They are very supportive and listen! Also give practical help as well. Hope you can get some support xx