[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I need a new watch?! - Carers UK Forum

I need a new watch?!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
On Saturday, my watch said the carer arrived at 6.30pm to tuck mum up in bed for the night. I rang social services asking for 4 calls, not 3, per day. SSD rang back to say I was wrong, the agency said that they always come at 7.30-8.00. Either I need a new watch or someone's lying, and my watch is working fine!
Perhaps the carer didn`t change her clocks for autumn?

More likely they are trying it on, getting paid for calls they don`t actually make. Good job you were there to audit them!xx
Isn't there a log at your mom's home they have to sign when you have been there, what they have done etc?
Hopefully you get it sorted soon. Good Luck with it.
Silly me, I'd forgotten about the log, I must still feeling a bit traumatised. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for that.
Log definitely shows arrival at 6pm, departure 6.30pm! Someone's not telling the truth then!
Log definitely shows arrival at 6pm, departure 6.30pm! Someone's not telling the truth then!
There's a surprise... Image
Hope you manage to get it sorted with the help of the log.
I'm going to take my lightweight printer/copier over to mum's tomorrow to copy the log, then take them to SSD.
This seems to be a common theme when dealing with agency careworkers or staff supplied through SS - that it's all a bit hit and miss on the timekeeping front and often you don't get the number of calls/time that you have paid for/been promised.

I currently have two ladies which we've made private arrangements with, so that my parents get a visit each morning and late afternoon to attend to their meals. At the moment we just about have things covered, but I'd quite like more cover if I could find a reliable person. Trouble is, one of our carers is actually a pensioner herself, just working to supplement her pension, so doesn't want more hours. The other lady is very personable but has been a bit unreliable re timekeeping, and has also started calling in sick now and then, so I'm not inclined to give her more hours. If I went down the agency route I suspect we'd get one stranger after another, which Dad would not respond well to as he has dementia and almost zero memory these days. So, when I have to I just step in, hoping things won't go pear shaped, thinking the agency route may cause more stress than it solves.

As for social services, I guess there must be some cases when they're useful, but often on these boards the stories seem to be mostly of bad service and clueless people, just ticking boxes on forms and muttering standard phrases, but often not giving the right kind of help. A real shame for anyone who has to rely on them.