[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Internet use - Carers UK Forum

Internet use

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The use of the internet in Scotland (and presumably in the UK too) depends on income, age and disability. This graph taken from the Scottish Household Survey illustrates that people with a disability (and potentially this might also apply to carers) are far less likely to have internet access than those without: overall, Internet access by people with disabilities is only slightly over 50%. This has major implications for policymakers and carers organisations.
I'm staggered by these figures. Any explanation? Is it because they can't afford it, don't want it, can't use it, or what?
I'm staggered by these figures. Any explanation? Is it because they can't afford it, don't want it, can't use it, or what?
I suspect that poverty is the main reason - but not always the kind of material poverty you might expect. After all, library access is free to all, and all libraries have free internet access. So, I suspect the answer is poverty of the imagination, poor education and computer literacy, low expectations, lack of intellectual curiosity, lack of belief that anything can change for the better, just low horizons. As one of the researchers on this project I often encounter the answer]The SHS asked adults who make no personal use of the Internet the reasons why they did
not (Table 9.14). Among the most common responses related to people’s preferences or
requirements were, 32% saying they did not like using the Internet/computers, 27% saying they did not need to use the Internet/computers and 12% saying there is nothing of interest on the Internet. Not knowing how to use a computer appears to be another common reason for not using the Internet: a quarter of non-users (25%) said that they did not know how to use a computer, and a further 8% said that it would be too difficult to learn to use the Internet. Cost also seems to be an issue, with 12% saying that they could not afford a computer and 2% saying that an Internet connection would be too expensive.[/quote]
Of course it's like a lot of things, you don't know until you try. Did you come up with any ideas on how to get past these attitudes?
Of course it's like a lot of things, you don't know until you try. Did you come up with any ideas on how to get past these attitudes?
We don't ask people that, but I think that from observation, having children who are willing to promote the benefits of computing to their parents is a key factor.
That's interesting. In my area there were Silver Surfer courses, I'm wondering if something similar, but with volunteers going into people's homes, would work? Perhaps in conjuction with the government scheme to get everyone online?
Yes, my local carers centre offers 1:1 courses for people in computing in their homes, it is very successful.
Yes, my local carers centre offers 1:1 courses for people in computing in their homes, it is very successful.
S loves surfing the net, his brain operates rather like a internet search engine.

We use computer (PC, interactive white boards and Ipads) with our pupils at the special school I work at but not many of them use computers at home - lack of access (touch screens and special switches,) siblings who dominate the use of computers and parent's who don't want to supervise (and worry the computer might get broken.) Laptops and Ipads are often a financial priority for m/s youngsters. It will be interesting to see if this trend persists.

Melly1
My son uses the Internet all the time: he has his own very smart iMac and iPhone paid for through his In-Control personal budget, loves researching his favourite films and actors, and is comfortable enough to make posts and add photos to his Facebook account with no help. I would add that having his own technology has been a huge boost to his somewhat limited literacy, and helps him take an interest in current affairs. We share a home office, but being a PC man myself, I have no idea how the iMac works, its a total mystery to me!