Childcare ? A Vital Clog For Anyone Juggling Work With Caring ? Trouble Is , Where Is It ? And ... How Much ???

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Existing thread ... SMOKE AND MIRRORS ... has a few articles on the problems with the Government's scheme ...
worth surfing over there for more background :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... %20mirrors

Also , CUK's own initiated thread is relevant here ... childcare being citied as an important factor :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... h%20caring

Childcare is also running into problems ... several locals are finding the costs too high in relation to their wages.

In addition , the smaller nurseries are shutting up shop in the poorer areas ... case of being squeezed both ends
... in costs , and the income coming in.

( Same problem in reverse ... adult daycare centres ... find one open and affordable ! ... elderly caree with a son /
daughter as the carer ... as I was in my time ! )

Childcare problems cost families millions new research claims.

Problems finding childcare is costing families £1.2 billion each year in lost earnings, according to new analysis from Save the Children.

The charity estimates that 89,000 mothers of children under five are unable to work because of childcare issues. It says that this represents a total of £3.4 million each day in lost earnings, or between £3,400 and £11,400 per family.

########################################################################

Good, affordable nursery care benefits us all – but it’s nowhere to be found.

Private nurseries are a boon for entrepreneurs, but – for all the sanctification of motherhood – women who are exhausting themselves to work are the people we actually care about least

My daughter has been looking at nurseries. I must admit it is a long time since I had to think about that kind of thing. What I have learned is that babies are more expensive than ever. Turns out you can no longer just put them in a drawer, and they have to be wheeled around in contraptions that cost more than an old banger. But childcare – well, childcare is impossible. The old feminist demand for free creches went the way of the habit some women used to have of demanding men pee sitting down.

Private nurseries have sprung up everywhere. The babies will be fed gourmet mush and entertained non-stop while their parents work every hour they can to pay for this.

Coram Family and Childcare’s latest survey estimates that the average price for full-time nursery care for a child under two in inner London – 50 hours a week – is £330. But fewer than two thirds of councils report having anything approaching this provision. The government is meant to provide some free childcare for certain families when kids turn three, for 38 weeks of the year – you know, to help those people who only work 38 weeks a year!

All of this is a boon for private entrepreneurs who are setting up childcare businesses and paying nursery nurses a minimum wage. Many women are exhausting themselves to work, with very little of their salary left over. I relied on childminders, friends, grants and a free nursery place. I now know that was another era altogether.

Good nursery care is good for mothers and good for small children. Therefore, it is good for all of us. Sometimes its seems that, despite all the sanctification of motherhood that goes on, they are the people we care least about. Oh, and I haven’t mentioned fathers. Because, as we know, there are absolutely no issues to be solved there …

• Suzanne Moore is a Guardian columnist.

INTERLOCKING ... that dreaded word again ... zero hour contracts ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... 0contracts

Friends of one of my immediate neighbours ... husband / wife / son , aged 5.

Both want to work ... only option is zero hour contracts ... both were recently called in at 4 hours notice ... night shift
... six nights a week ... 8 hours shifts ... 8 weeks worth ... and , for once , the money was reasonable ... £ 9.25 per hour.

Only one problem ?

No one ... at such short notice ... to care for their son.

Dare they mention that on their UC journal ????

( One took the offer on ... the other had to refuse it. )

Childcare might become " Available only in rich areas. "

Childcare in England risks becoming the preserve of the wealthy, unless a £660m funding gap in a free childcare scheme is plugged, MPs are warning.

Severe financial strain has been placed on private and independent nurseries offering the government's flagship free 30-hours scheme, they report.

And those operating in poor areas are more likely to be threatened with closure, they say.

The government said low income families received help with childcare costs.
The national scheme offers parents of all three and four-year-olds 30 hours of free childcare a week - up from 15 hours in 2017.

But early years providers have long said the level at which these hours are funded by a government grant has meant operators have had to find other ways of making up the difference.

The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Childcare and Early Education heard evidence of a potential reduction in nursery places in deprived areas, while in affluent areas an increase in places looks likely.

This was highlighted by Nicole Politis, director of the Portico Nursery Group, who told the parliamentary inquiry that she had a number of nurseries in different socio-economic areas.

'Closures'

She said: "Three years ago, nurseries in these deprived areas were completely full.

"Now, those in affluent areas are full, and in deprived areas the numbers of children attending are so low that I'm having to close them.

"Sadly, some parents cannot afford the additional fees, and this is being exacerbated by the roll-out of Universal Credit.

"In the end, this means that the [30-hours] scheme is not always reaching the most vulnerable families."

The APPG report said: "Should this trend continue, we risk facing a situation where only wealthy families are able to access childcare services, leading to significant reductions in educational opportunities for children, as well as more challenges to parents looking to go back into work."

'Battling'

According to the National Day Nurseries Association, the rate at which early years providers are closing has increased by 66% since the introduction of the scheme, and they are closing fastest in more deprived areas.

Tulip Siddiq MP, chairwoman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Childcare and Early Education, said: "We know that the early years are hugely important to a child's physical and mental development and future life chances.

"However, there is a significant body of evidence to demonstrate that childcare providers are battling to achieve and maintain financial sustainability, and that government policies are a major cause of this challenge."

Children and Families Minister Nadham Zahawi said there had been a huge increase in the number of children benefitting from 30 hours free childcare.

He added that this meant parents were spending less on childcare and could work more flexibly.

Working and caring ... claiming Carers Allowance ... and with young children ?

Even when you manage to juggle all the balls , you will still be working for " Poverty pay. "

Rough guide ... £ 15k per annum per person ... at best £ 9.5k per annum ... NOT EVEN two thirds of the way there !

" Working is the way out of poverty. "

NOT FOR CARERS IT AIN'T !!!