[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Making arrangements (in case something happens to me!) - Carers UK Forum

Making arrangements (in case something happens to me!)

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I have already had an informal chat with a couple of legal bods via a friend, but before I formally launch into an expensive project via a solicitor, I wondered if anyone has any useful pointers, or even know of some guidance somewhere on this issue? The position is that I am my mother's carer and I am the only family she has. If something were to happen to me, she would be at a total loss. There are friends, who are not really local, and of course (I would like to think!) that someone would help her in the short term, but as I recently hit 50, it's been dwelling more and more on my mind - that I should make some kind of 'arrangements' so that someone would help to sell the house (we live in the same one), sort out the finances, etc. and settle her into a nice home somewhere. Is it better to accept the cost and get something formal set up with a solicitor, so that the solicitor would do all the above, so all Mum, or someone else, would have to do would be to make a phone call to set the process off, or should I set up an arrangement where friends/relatives (overseas)/neighbours would help to sort matters out? Or is it a combination of both? The friends/relatives option sounds fine, but can I reply on such an arrangement? I guess if it happens, then I won't be worrying about it (!), but it does bother me now - what on earth would she do?!

Any thoughts would be welcome - thanks!
A will and a Power of Attorney are both vital parts of an carers toolkit. I lost a good pal last year - sudden heart attack on the hill, he was 52: very fit guy, with two disabled daughters. It can happen to anyone.
This is a very complicated situation. In theory there would be friends who could step in, and therefore keep costs down, but in reality, would they? I would suggest that you had an initial chat with a solicitor to see what they could do to help, and also suggest. Our local authority has an emergency carer scheme, whereby if the carer is suddenly unable to care, they would sort something out temporarily. Perhaps there is something similar in your area, so that if the worst happened, they would know what to do? Perhaps you should go and ask Social Services what they think you should do? I have a son M with SLD, aged 34, lives alone with support, and his brother is 36. I've been nagging my eldest to make a will for some time (I made my first when I was 21 and moving abroad, owning property in the UK), but it's never ever occurred to me before that his will needs to make provision for what should happen in the event of his death, as far as M's finances are concerned. I'm already going to see a solicitor in the next week or two, so will add this to my list. Thanks for raising this.
Hi, I see where you are coming from.

I do not know if your mother is already a client of adult services and if she has a Care Manager (ocial worker). If not, might be time to make Adult Services, Local Council, aware of the situation? In order for her care needs to be put in place etc?

But in any case there is some relevant advice on the main web site for emergency plans etc.

(You are here: HomeHelp & adviceFocus on...Planning for the unexpected)

So I suggest its worth you having a look on the main website.

There are many many folk who live alone and have no family, own their own homes etc so there will be plenty of precedents and therefore ....solutions. The will is VERY important for naming executor(s) to handle the business side of things at least.
I would add that any solicitors firm would be delighted to take over selling a property etc acting as Executors ...AT a Cost of course! There may be better options should the situation you are anxious about comes to fruition.

By the way, it is also important for you to have your own will up to date too.

Thanks all. You have given me enough information here to believe I need to have at least an initial conversation/advice session with solicitor to ask the "what would happen if" and "how does one set that up" kind of questions, and also of course "how much will that cost"?! I'm going to email the legal contact I made via a friend, and also a local solicitor to get some quotes for advice.

Someone said to me today that I must look into setting up a POA.

Time to act!