[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Could you live on £1 a day? - Carers UK Forum

Could you live on £1 a day?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Anyone finding it hard to cope with the credit crunch will find little sympathy from teacher Kath Kelly. But would you be prepared to go to her lengths to win a bet?

The cash-strapped teacher had an alcohol-induced wager with friends that she could beat the credit crunch by living on just £1 a day for a whole year - and won.

Miss Kelly, 47, ate at free buffets, shopped at jumble sales and scavenged food discarded by grocery stores and restaurants.

Imagehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... n-bet.html

I assume that her expenditure of £1 a day was exclusive of housing and utility costs?
i am sure that mr brown will be delighted to hold this up as an example
of how his niggardly policies are really generous.
Blimey good for her
Oh Yeah, and don't forget council tax, water rates etc.
Pick fruit from bushes and trees --- wot, you mean steal it.
Cycle - in today's traffic.
Hitchhike - dear, dear, fraught with danger
Leave notes instead of making phone calls - so who pays her rental or does she do 'pay as u go'
Church jumble sales - what's wrong with any jumble sale, car boot or (my favourite) eBay - as she's using the library/community internet
Small gifts to create goodwill - what is she on about.
I heard her on 5live last night and the £1 a day does not include gas, electric, water or council tax or any other bills but one person near enough called her a freeloader when she said going out she then changed it to functions where food & drink was offered free. if you raid the place supermarkets throw out damaged stock and get caught they may,well almost certainly will, prosecute you for theft. follow the 5 a day that is advertised and you cannot live on a £1 a day but given what the jobless get £60.50 a week you would think you could do it with ease.
I heard her on 5live last night and the £1 a day does not include gas, electric, water or council tax or any other bills .
And we all know how much rates, gas, electric and water costs and don't forget rent or mortgage.
the last time i saw someone live on NOWT per day was group of ROYAL MARINES on one of those isles off Scotland as there was not even any traffic no road kill ?

GEORGE=====

what about her five a day vegies.
the last time i saw someone live on NOWT per day was group of ROYAL MARINES on one of those isles off Scotland as there was not even any traffic no road kill ?

GEORGE=====

what about her five a day veggies.
Last time I was in Lidl they were actually giving away sausages that were about to go beyond their sell-by date... I put a few packs straight in the freezer.

I grow some fruit and veg like chives and blackcurrants and that saves some money - why buy herbs and so on when you can grow them in a pot on the windowsill? I used to grow a lot more, and even kept chooks. As for fruit, blackberries, raspberries and elderberries are to picked for free from any country lane or urban wasteground and are very rich in Vit C, they make delicious jam or wine. Do you throw away your chicken carcass or boil it down to make nutritious stock? My favourite free food is wild mushrooms - lots of edible varieties can be found this time of year with a good pocket field guide, and they can be dried for soups too. These things are real delicacies, worth a fortune in posh restaurants. Around here I never miss a nice bit of fresh roadkill either, pheasants and roe deer are fairly common.

All these things make complete sense. I don't think I could live on £1 a day either, but I think we can all learn something from someone who did - she looks very happy and healthy and probably shed a few pounds as well, which is a bonus.

Hitching - and car sharing - is safe and should be encouraged. I cycled and hitchiked everywhere until I was 35 and didnt have a car until I needed it for commuting.

The generation that lived through WW2 knew all this stuff - we appear to have lost the ability to look after ourselves. Yes, it would be good to get more money from the state, but right now we have to live on limited means, so we might as well share a few tips and hints and make a virtue out of our necessity.
I love cooking and before STAN was in need of constant care we had good meals but as time passed by iam sad to say the MICROWAVE was used all the time to be honest it was a big help as i just could not have meals at set times .

GEORGE====