[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Correct me if Im wrong but - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Correct me if Im wrong but

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
It's either a Benefit and should be called such or it's an allowance and should be treated as one - like DLA an 'ALLOWANCE' not a benefit !! Mad
Too true... too true.

Anyway its all way beyond my ken ... Benefits? Allowances?All Baloney.

Get rid of them all ... waste of space. A decent citizens income for all, a tax credit that took everyone out of poverty, free school meals and transport, free help to get a job for carers, even those with dodgy hips and knees... now THAT would be progress...

And as for all those asylum seekers and immigrants.?
Brown, black, white, even Celtic supporters with green and white stripes..?
I have one thing to say.
.... its very direct...
.....some people wont like it...
.....it's not politically correct...

... read on...

Come round my place for a BBQ next Sunday and lets ALL party ... yeah!
I agree with a citizens wage, every citizen guaranteed a minimum income whatever their circumstances but it won't happen. Next in line is a social wage, the elderly, sick, disabled and carers guaranteed a minimum income, that won't happen either, so I think that carers should be aiming for a Carers' Wage. As the only benefits claimants, or non-benefits claimants in too many cases, we are the only group that has to work to qualify for an income, underlying entitlement or premium if we're on means-tested benefits.

There's a strong moral case for us to be paid for the work we do, one that is hard to argue against. I would sugggest that there's also a strong fiscal case for a Carers' Wage too, an adequate income would allow us to purchase the help and take the breaks we need enabling us to look our own welfare better than is currently possible thus allowing us to continue to care for longer; the cost of the wage would be minimal when compared to the cost of the residential care which would become necessary for many of the people we care for when we are no longer able to continue to care. Set at either the minimum hourly wage rate or as a percentage of average income and paid regardless of other income, administered by central government, perhaps removed from the DWP and administered as a tax credit but most certainly not administered by LAs, it would be a true reflection of the work we do, the money we save the government and the government's apparent gratitude.

Is it achievable? Probably not in the short term but I believe that it is in the medium term but the longer we and those who purport to represent us do nothing the longer we'll have to wait. I put a recommendation for a Carers' Wage in the Carer Watch submission to the DWP Select Committee Enquiry into the Government's Carer Strategy, I know that the concept has the support of many carers, now it needs taking up by the charities who have access to government ministers and No. 10 but I have a nasty feeling that the idea of a Carers' Wage is too radical for them.
I don't think the Carers Wage idea is too far removed from what has been considered by the government. But I believe they dropped it because they misunderstand the vital point:

When you are in financial difficulties everything is that much more difficult to cope with.

When you are not struggling to make every penny count, everything is that much easier to cope with.

Less stress = fewer calls on social services for support, so there is a difference between the "headline" cost of a Carers Wage as the savings on social services bring down the "net" cost. Remember, these people think in terms of the bottom line.
As real term investment in social services doesn't keep up with inflation and increasing demands, over time access to care is likely to become a crisis service only, it's now when we do have a cost-saving argument to make that we should be lobbying. I would imagine that any proposal that the government had in mind would only only apply to those carers in receipt of CA but they are the minority, I'd like to see all carers receiving a single wage for the work they do whether or not they have income from other sources, including IB and SRP and, of course, employment.
[quote]I don't think the Carers Wage idea is too far removed from what has been considered by the government. But I believe they dropped it because they misunderstand the vital point]

I totally agree Charles that is what is such a disgrace about this review, in real terms it would cost less to pay carers a decent wage, not only us but our carees as well would be able to have a better standadard of living, so both carers and carees would be less dependent on the state. I don`t know about evryone else but my wifes DLA is supposed to be to there for her to buy what she needs weather it be private care or whatever, but that can`t happen because as a carer I don`t get enough to be able to keep the house running and pay all the bills, so it gets swallowed up in everyday living.
The government want a one across the board payment called the out of work benefit and of course caring will be classed as a reason to be out of work but its the same old argument we as carers are not out of work we in fact work more as carers than those who are in fact in work iam sure many carers would be happy if their care work was only for 40 hours per week many groups want this new benefit to be means tested like income support therefore if you have "wage " of say over £100 you would not get the out of work benefit so many carers would get nothing but the care work would continue example .

pensioner carers
carers with private pensions
working carers the £95 limit would go
I don't think the Carers Wage idea is too far removed from what has been considered by the government. But I believe they dropped it because they misunderstand the vital point]

I totally agree Charles that is what is such a disgrace about this review, in real terms it would cost less to pay carers a decent wage, not only us but our carees as well would be able to have a better standadard of living, so both carers and carees would be less dependent on the state. I don`t know about evryone else but my wifes DLA is supposed to be to there for her to buy what she needs weather it be private care or whatever, but that can`t happen because as a carer I don`t get enough to be able to keep the house running and pay all the bills, so it gets swallowed up in everyday living.
My DLA has vanished into the living expenses pot for years, at one point it was used to subsidise my husband's care costs because his AA didn't even begin to cover them. The mobility component is used to visit my mother, one month's money for one return taxi fare most months. DLA and AA go nowhere towards meeting care costs, four years ago we were paying £14.20 per hour weekdays and £17.02 per hour weekends, you don't get much care at current DLA and AA rates. I remember that when people with disabilities were asking for the heating allowance a few years ago Maria Eagle, who was then Minister for Disabled People, stated that DLA was for paying for the costs of items such as heating, it seems as though its purpose has changed over the years as it hasn't kept pace with the cost of care.
I too find that the DLA for both our son and my husband are eaten up in costs. We have to have a car, so that is my husbands mobility component,my son's mobility pays for petrol. We have thought of buying a car instead,so that my younger two children can help with the driving and take pressure of me, but the upkeep would be too much.

Care component is used in everyday things, but we also have to find a lot for day centres who raise money for charity, I can't let my son be the odd one out. THis is really difficult to find extra, but most families must feel the same and others seem to cope. Perhaps I am just a bad manager with money!

We pay annual subscriptions to a few charities, out of necessity to keep up-to-date with knowledge.

Even taking into account my husbands DLA and my son's, plus Carers Allowance for me, there is less money coming into our house than when I had to leave my nursing career twelve and a half years ago.I was earning more then, for 33 hours of work, than my whole family gets now! Image
I think that the steep rise in the cost of living is making it extra difficult for those who only use their low incomes for essentials, there are no luxuries to cut back on. The government had the ideal opportunity to ease the financial pressures on carers and failed miserably, they obviously don't realise that we don't want warm words, it's warm homes and decent hot meals that we need and on our incomes it's these basics that most people take for granted that we're having to cut back on in order to stay out of debt.
Parsifal, I agree 100% with your comments. I would appreciate CUK quoting them directly in any future press release about the Strategy or about benefits.