[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Correct me if Im wrong but - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Correct me if Im wrong but

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
People are using their DLA for the things it was not meant to some would like to use the mobility part of DLA for a car but cannot because they use it to pay gas , electric or even food bills.
Those who have got a car and have to find the money for fuel and at up to £5.90 a gallon (diesel) soon the disabled won't be able to afford to give up their DLA for a car if they can't already
We have an old car, but OH dla goes on essentials to live, no way could we afford a motability car Image
My point exactly
We have an old car, but OH dla goes on essentials to live, no way could we afford a motability car Image
We'd love to be able to afford a motability car, because if it goes wrong, they look after it, then it's renewed etc. We did manage (with help) to get a second-hand one, but it's ours and we have to fix it.
Another thing that could be looked into is the fact if the carer, i e "me" drives the car (rather van) without my caree, I have to pay full tax. So if I want to "nip to the shop" to get my caree something without my caree, legally I have to pay full car tax. Image
I would expect loads of people with a lease car do the same leave their caree at home and go out in the car sometimes it can be the only way to get everything in that you are going for
The problem with the Motability Scheme and with services provided by social services which are now universally charged for is that both remove any flexibility in the way in which you use DLA, or in the case of care services DLA or AA, your money is committed and if you need it urgently for another purpose you can't access it. You can't just stop your Mobility Component being taken, neither can you just refuse to pay for care services. I sometimes think that Joseph Heller designed services and benefits for people with disabilities, whatever you do you can't win, it will always be the wrong course of action.
I'm posting this separately because although it's relevant to the above discussion it's significant enough to justify its own post. I haven't been able to pick up the detail yet but Rightsnet reports that the Government has rejected the Select Committee's call for DLA to be increased, the government appears to have stated that DLA is only a "broad-brush contribution" towards the extra costs faced by disabled people. I've checked out the DWP and Select Committee sites and couldn't find any further detail but I'll keep checking, often items are published late in the day. So no increase in Carers' Allowance and no increase in DLA, I wonder how they think we'll survive in the current economic climate.
To Dorothy G.

I believe that if you are using a car with free tax, that you can still drive it without your cared for, as long as you are doing something on behalf of the cared for.

YOu might want to check up on that, but it is what I have been told by DVLA and DSS. Image
DLA is only a "broad-brush contribution" towards the extra costs faced by disabled people.
It doesn't cover the extra's we have due to the disability.
  • Extra laundry expenses, electricity to continually wash & dry clothing, bedding etc.
    Dietary requirements - fruit & veg are sooo expensive now.
    Heating bills - constant temperature needed so in winter it's the central heating and in summer...the fans on continually and it 'aint cheap! Image
No DLA - but we need a car as sitting on public transport for any length of time is awful!!
You know how it is, nice and warm,repeatative motion - means OH falls asleap and seizes. Image
Seizures in a public place are bad enough but complex partials - running around and banging about in a confined space...HELL!!

Most of our expense is on gas and electricity now and my cupboard is full of Tesco Value products.
We cut costs where we can but it's really difficult but of course you all knew that!

marie x