[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Correct me if Im wrong but - Carers UK Forum

Correct me if Im wrong but

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
As state pension is not a benefit, it is paid for by us with our National insurance contributions,
how can paying us CA be classed as an overlapping benefit?
Also, as CA is classed as a benefit, overlapping or otherwise, and we have to work for 35 hours per week to be entitled to it, why cant folk who arent carers on other benefits such as JSA work for their benefits too? If we carers have to work to be entitled to our benefit enttilement, why cant everybody else who isnt a carer?
I exclude all carees from this by the way, and people who are disabled.
That's when it becomes an Income replacement just like they call a pension so you cannot have both Image Image Image
I've often though about that myself Tinks but nobody listens.
CA is a benefit when Government want to treat it as so and then hey presto it's an allowance when it suits them as well! Image
It sure don't replace my lost income or anyone elses for that matter does it!
Typical!!!
marie x
Thats true Marie, nobody listens to us. Its time they jolly well started to.
They are all benefits. That's what they are called when they train their staff, too.

Don't be fooled by National Insurance: what you pay in is not for you. It pays for those who are pensioners now.
I asked P.M. and 2 local M.P`S all 3 said it is an allowance Image

GEORGE====
They can call 'em what they like, George. Legally they are benefits because otherwise they wouldn't be affected by the overlapping rule.
Charles said:
They can call 'em what they like, George. Legally they are benefits because otherwise they wouldn't be affected by the overlapping rule.
It's an allowance!!! and isn't that the whole point we're making? Image
This is how low it gets - we're being conned and used, left, right and centre. Image

If you're going to stop and change the meaning to suit, why use the two different labels? Image

It's either a Benefit and should be called such or it's an allowance and should be treated as one - like DLA an 'ALLOWANCE' not a benefit !! Image

marie x
It's an income replacement benefit according to Ms McGuire, Minister for whatever, disabled people and carers. I know it's called Carers Allowance but unlike Disability Living and Attendance Allowances it's effectively means-tested, DLA and AA are paid regardless of income as long as the claimant meets the criteria.
The issue is less in the name than in the status of the benefit concerned: is it means-tested (Pension Credit and Income Support)? Is it a National Insurance benefit (paid for out of, and/or offering a credit of, National Insurance - such as Carers Allowance, Retirement Pension), or non means-tested, such as DLA or AA?

National Insurance benefits are affected by the overlapping benefits rule.