[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Coronavirus and caring - Carers UK Forum

Coronavirus and caring

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Is anyone else on here worried about coronavirus and how to plan for it? My mum lives alone (86, poor mobility and poor vision) but depends on me and two cleaners/helpers who visit 2-3 times a week. I am terribly worried about what will happen if she gets coronavirus as I will not be able to take care of her and I don't think her other helpers will either. Plus how on earth are they going to be able to protect themselves and to avoid spreading it among the various older and sicker people that they look after? Does anyone know what plans there are for looking after people who depend on care at home if they or their carers get ill?
Justine, as long as you and the carer/helpers wash your hands thoroughly then you are doing everything you can to protect your Mum. Perhaps have a plan B in place so that if either you or the carers/helpers develop a cough etc that alterative care is available (someone on standby or you could cover each other). If she caught the virus (unlikely) and needed care she would be admitted to an isolation ward. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

If you need further information/ reassurance ring 111.

Melly1
Thanks Melly. I do hope you are right. What worries me is if things get to the point where many thousands are infected and carers simply cannot look after them all and nor are there enough hospital places. At the moment it seems fine with just a handful of cases. Let's hope it stays that way.
I think you are right to think about. What should I do.

I would speak to the helpers and have a discussion.

Expectations on washing their hands etc.

Not to dry their hands directly on to towel/tea towels.

Advice states wash with soap. Before and after under running water up to 2 minutes . Dry with paper towel and bin it. Then you can finish off with a towel/tea towel. Apparently, gloves are less efficient. As you need to discard after every task.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Agencies carer I hope have been appropriately advised! If you have agency carers speak to their employer.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/28/heal ... index.html

I think it's quite reasonable to have a conversation. It protects everyone!.
Thank you sunnydisposition. Good ideas - I will follow up. I'm quite surprised there has not been more said about this issue in the general reporting of coronavirus.
The this morning programme have been following it...

Most mornings it's mentioned and an expect comes in.
Justine,

Carers Uk have issued guidance here https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... s-guidance
Melly1
Expanding this topic a bit...…..
What about touch screens in surgeries, supermarket check outs (DIY checkouts), where the screen is
fingered by all ?
Putting in pin numbers where everyone has touched the numbers.
All handles and knobs in public places, handled by all.
Library PC,s. Books? Bank notes?
Garage petrol pump nozzles, again handled by all.
……….and many more.
Albert,

Washing your hands is your best defence. Wash them before touching your face, preparing food or eating and drinking and when arriving back home.

I think it is worth putting coronavirus into context with other illnesses:

Melly1
I have thought about it too. In case we are forced into isolation I have stocked up on puzzle books and games but I kind of doubt we will.