[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Coronation Street. - Carers UK Forum

Coronation Street.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Very interesting storyline going on in corrie for a while, How does everyone feel their dealing with it?

Are they portraying it correctly or does anyone believe that while its good their showing it, there also using it for the wrong reasons i.e. to get Eileen a new partner?

Does anyone also think it drums up a lot of questions regarding whether we should discuss decisions and choices with loved ones when we're still quite young so it makes it easier when people are affected by Dementia?

If any of that made sense.

http://bit.ly/H66wuj
Hi,
Thought the storyline was a bit iffy from the start, they should handle it very
carefully, it was o.k. for a while, showing what dementia was like, and what
people had to do to care for someone with it, but now in the story its like ,get
rid of the wife quick, so Eileen can have her man sort of thing,. I know its only
t.v. which your can turn off. but a lot of family's and carers will be watching this
storyline and the way it pans out very closely.
Minnie
I think the male carer in this storyline has been getting a lot of sympathy which is fine but if the genders were reversed and it was the man with Alzheimers and the wife who was the carer and having the affair i can just imagine the outcry.
Yeh,not a Corrie fan but caught some of it lately.I feel that any raising of awareness is good,but the Tracy Barlow thing is a problem.She ranted and raged and showed no sign of understanding,which is her character,but whereas the people here on the Forum know she is being shown as a selfish fool there are many in the general public who will see this as acceptable behaviour....because it was on tv.It`s also a rather simplified storyline but then,in my snobbish opinion,soaps have to be simple anyway.Would they show incontinence,personal care,sleepless nights,of course not,but overall i think it is good to have Dementia shown in a popular programme,especially as the younger generation are expected to live even longer than we are,and as long as brain cells continue to die with age,which they will,then we can expect more Dementia with future generations,not less,and probably new forms as well.
someone should burn a copy to dvd and send it to the idiot who lives on downing street in london,if he doesn't listen to carers uk and other care organisations he might pay attention to a soap opera on telly,fingers crossed,on a less bitter and twisted note if it creates awareness it's got to be good,my mate didn't understand what my home life was like till he watched this storyline,so it works and helps
ps,the tracey barlow perspective is a fact of life,i've been called a scrounger on a few occasions and been told i should stop at home and look after my wife if she is ill,by work colleagues
ps,the tracey barlow perspective is a fact of life,i've been called a scrounger on a few occasions and been told i should stop at home and look after my wife if she is ill,by work colleagues
Once Dad was having words with someone in the street, something to do with parking or whatever. This guy turned on Dad and told him he was "bone idle just staying in all day looking after his wife" Image and that he should go out and get a "proper job". Some, no make that Many, people have absolutely no idea what caring is all about. If I am totally honest, it wasn't until Dad passed away and I had to take up the role that I was really aware of what Dad had been dealing with day in day out for many years.

Bell x
Havent watched a soap in years.Have no use for them.Its a ratings-puller,no doubt,to cover this topic.I suppose,for those who do watch these shows,it might educate,I assume the research will be fairly good.But,in my case,I dont ever feel one learns much from such topics through a soap,s coverage of them.Documentary programs are more my thing,IF I was seeking insight into the topic.

But many do like the soaps,and I dont knock that.They entertain.
maxi i totally agree,i don't watch them either,but my mate is now aware of my personal situation through watching coronation street,which in my opinion is a good thing.
Only folks who are already interested watch documentaries. Therefore a popular soap covering an issue that raises awareness and gets people talking has to be a good thing. Just my opinion.

melly1