[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
COMPANION BUS PASS - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

COMPANION BUS PASS

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I have a companion bus pass in Hampshire - and both my husband and I can travel for free...when he was in Salisbury spinal unit we used there as well with out paying anything!!!!! : Image
the companion bus pass has been in west lothian in scotland for at least 20 years

myra
We have one in Strathclyde too, it allows free bus travel for my son and any carer or paid supporter. Cool, he uses it most days to go to college, brilliant idea.
Trish got her bus pass in 2008 and i can travel free with her within West Yorkshire.We once got on a bus in Blackpool and the driver said id have to pay full fare.I queried this with Metro and they told me it was only valid for companion in West Yorkshire.It was sumat to do with West Yorkshire wouldnt join the nation wide scheme.Yet the last time we went to Oldham the driver didnt query it i was able to travel there and back for free.Same the other day when we got bus from Ashton to Staylebridge i had my money out but the driver let me travel for free.By the way these passes can be used on trains to save a bit of money.Before 2nd Jan we were able to travel anywhere in West Yorkshire for 2 quid return for the both of us.That saved us £'s i can tell you.We have a Disabled pass that saves us £'s for just 20 quid per year.I dont know where they got the National bit from.
I live in a very rural area of Hampshire, have to use my car all the time because I'm disabled, and there is no public transport locally in any case. My son moved to his own supported living flat two years ago, in a small town with a good bus service. His carers charge him 40p per mile in they use their cars, so public transport would obviously be cheaper. When I found out by chance, about the companion bus pass scheme, neither the care provider: nor the learning disability team social worker; nor the senior member of staff involved with sorting out a few long standing problems; knew what I was talking about. Hopefully anyone who uses this site who hadn't heard about the scheme will now be chasing it up. Jill
This pass is totally irrelevant to us as we cannot use any form of public transport due to son's disability. His powered wheelchair would be a hazard to himself and others if not properly restrained with a 4 point tie down system - means we can't even use taxis - and is why we have a Renault Master with a tailgate lift.

Eun
This pass is totally irrelevant to us as we cannot use any form of public transport due to son's disability. His powered wheelchair would be a hazard to himself and others if not properly restrained with a 4 point tie down system - means we can't even use taxis - and is why we have a Renault Master with a tailgate lift.

Eun

Sadly this is the case for quite a few, but for those who can, this is an excellent thread Image
Yes, great thread, I had no idea about this companion pass till I read this...I did asked the social worker and he was was like: that's for older people...basically trying to put us off...which of course had the opposite effect, so I call the council and low and behold this pass is available, just got the forms sent (more letters from the GP needed,ha)

Thanks again for sharing Image
When I was a social worker in the seventies, we were expected to know everything relevant to our clients. When Attendance Allowance came out, one of my clients, a double amputee, was one of the first claimants. He was initially turned down as he didn't need enough care!!!! I soon sorted that one. These days they are "care managers" only concerned about money in relation to the cost of a care package. Social work as I knew it is a thing of the past. When my second son was brain damaged at birth, I wanted to do my very best for him. Mums in my area started a new charity for mums with special needs children, even if they didn't have a diagnosis, which can take years. I was chairman for a while, and worked hard to make sure every family had claimed all the benefits which they were entitled to . In almost every case, they were in touch with "the professionals" but none of them saw benefits advice as part of their role. Money won't make anyone better but it sure as heck makes life easier. My mums found out that they could have driving lessons funded, a new dishwasher, tumble dryer, holidays, medical equipment free, depending on their child's disability and their own needs and income. Once they knew how the system worked, they would then share the information with their friends. 25 years later, the charity is still going strong, running trips out, camping holidays, playschemes etc. More recently, I've been chair of a charity dealing with adults with learning difficulties from various parts of the country. Some of them had reached adulthood without proper benefits advice, which is a great shame for the families concerned. As carers, we know how difficult things can be financially. We owe it to each other to pass on the word about relevant matters. I couldn't believe that the Companion Bus Scheme had been introduced in my area and I didn't know about it. Neither did the care provider with over 60 LD clients or the LD social worker. They're all well paid but don't seem to be doing their jobs very well in this respect. If you have now found out about this bus pass from my posting, please pass the word round amongst your friends. Thankyou. Jill
Hi Jill,
Yes I wil let others know about the companion pass for sure.
As far as social workers like you say they they leave a lot to be desired I think...as I carer for my husband and one of my children I keep getting refered to them...I've had plenty of meetings/assesments but still waiting to get any real help/support for my son. One social worker admited to my face: That is was all about the money!
After further dealing with them I agree their only worry is the money not their clients...a real shame if you ask me Image
Ines