COMPANION BUS PASS

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My son has severe learning difficulties, he lives alone with support from a dom. care provider. He has a disabled bus pass, however he has been paying full price for his carer to travel with him. I've recently discovered that there is a Companion Bus Pass scheme in our area now (Hampshire), then the carer also gets discounted travel. The County need evidence of disability and a signed statement from someone explaining why he can't travel alone (he can't read, write, or count money at all). The care agency hadn't heard of this scheme until I mentioned it, neither had the social worker or some of Adult Services senior staff. Just thought I'd mention it here, in case others haven't realised the scheme existed. Does anyone know when it started though? Must be one of the most secret benefits ever if my experience is duplicated elsewhere!
Hi bowlingbun! Not every area has this sort of thing because it's up to each local authority whether to have such a scheme. And they are not well publicised, either. Most of us find out about this sort of thing through other carers, or by accident. Image
I couldn't agree more. I've spent years giving benefits advice, and couldn't believe that anything had been introduced on my patch that I didn't know about. I'm getting cynical in my old age, perhaps the LA didn't want anyone to know about it as it would cost them money, so didn't publicise it...??!!
I couldn't agree more. I've spent years giving benefits advice, and couldn't believe that anything had been introduced on my patch that I didn't know about. I'm getting cynical in my old age, perhaps the LA didn't want anyone to know about it as it would cost them money, so didn't publicise it...??!!
I couldn't possibly comment! Image
the companion bus pass has been in west lothian in scotland for at least 20 years ,garry has on although at the moment his epilepsy/ challenging behaviour dosnt allow us to use it.
BUT all the class in the school [special school]i work in have one and it is used nearly daily. it has a large 2 on it so that the bus drivers can see it clearly, there is no charge for carer or caree.
it can be used on the local trains as well but there is a minimal charge for that.

There is also a thing called a taxi card , these allow travel at a reduced price within west lothian.
also there is what is called in this area handicabs it has other names in other regions of scotland,
it is wheelchair accessable vehicle that you book in advance it allows 3 other people to travel with the user.it is also reduced price and allows 2 return trips a month.

myra
surrrey has it as well incase any one from this way needs to know
They took mine away Image

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17518

still trying to find out where I stand on this
I would suggest that you make a formal complaint to whoever issued it, as they withdrew it without giving any explanation. Jill
the pass that pat has is all in one whoever is with her gets a free ride as well this is in west yorkshire
Isn't it crazy that there are so many different schemes all over the country! Jill