[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cold callers - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

cold callers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I checked some of the registered charity bags - and some of them no longer exist which seems to be an indication of a scam
One of my best mates became a 'Witness'. I told him in no uncertain terms that he was always welcome as my mate, but NEVER as a Jehova's Witness. It worked as well.

I have lived next door to two Witness familys and they were the kindest neighbours one could wish for and they never knocked our door.

I twice filled charity bags, one for the RNLI and the other for The Salvation Army. Neither was collected so I just chuck the bags away now.
I knock on doors and interview people for a living: it's the ultimate carer-friendly job because I can work whenever I can spare a few hours. My employer is a reputable household-name research company. However, I always send out a letter first explaining the purpose of the call, and all my work is confidential public sector research, I don't sell anything. Rather deliciously, I even get to interview Jehovahs witnesses, Image More seriously, I also interview lots of carers and disabled people, and this is incredibly important for all of us by bringing carers and claimants circumstances into the light. Yes, its also very sensitive work: I have interviewed very frail and vulnerable people, and I especially treasure those calls.

Exercise judgement at your door: ask for ID, if in doubt refuse or call the police, but consider that whilst that call may take up 10-40 minutes of your time, it may help you and all other carers get a better deal next time the budget settlements are being argued. And most people do quite enjoy talking about themselves, of course! But from my perspective, it is the perfect, carer-friendly job, and brings in a decent wage, as well as helping to inform the powers that be about the opinions of ordinary folk. Plus, as those of you who know me well will verify; I always provide a bit of entertainment and a laugh, as well as the odd useful titbit of information if I think it will help.
I.D. So a guy is wearing or flashing "a" badge and its safe to let him in? Hmmm debatable. ............I am still bristling over National Deaf society calling on my OH when i left him for 50 minutes. On my return guy was sat at our dining room table with him and they were both pouring over our bank and building society files .... apparently trying to set up a direct debit....
Yes, from my own experience it is very easy to gain access to the homes of the most vulnerable people: I recently interviewed one widow who had paid £12,000 for a garden fence, some gravel and paving worth maybe £3,000, and another couple who had parted with £4,000 for some dodgy roof repairs worth a fraction of that. They weren't even senile, merely inexperienced and trusting. People are being ripped-off rotten. So, at least I'm with the good guys and helping to uncover what is really happening, neither of these folk had complained. I've also seen some great examples of protective neighbours and relatives who do pop their head over the fence and ask the right questions when they see me trying to knock at the door: Britain is still a very caring society, at heart.

I would like to see better protection in place for vulnerable people, especially in financial matters, but I'm unsure how to do this without imprisoning older people in their own homes or creating mass-paranoia. Many of the older people I interview genuinely enjoy the chance to contribute their views, and have a bit of human company, and why not indeed? Many folk dont read letters, many folk live alone, all of us could become vulnerable, and not every stranger is a danger: so what we do need is stronger and more caring communities, because we don't all have watchful neighbours or resident carers.
I hate the sales people that come calling. Without fail they babble on so quick you can even tell what they're trying to sell you Image.

I had the local newspaper trying to sell me home delivery...the paper shop is 1 minute's walk away from my house Image. I had my friend and her young kids over at that point and whilst he was doing his sales pitch one of the youngsters, unbeknown to me was stood next to me and he said "our paper's great because it has offers in for you and your children". In my head I was thinking 'what children??' then I looked around and saw her Image Image. Needless to say I didn't sign up, plus I don't even have the time to look through blooming thing.

With those charity clothes bags, I used them as a great substituion for bin liners.
Living up here, cold callers are something of a rarity. We do get the JWs now and again (they get everywhere) and the odd double glazing salesman. We have local reps for charity collections and they always advertise locally before they come calling so we have money at the ready! I won't give my bank details to anyone at the door or on the phone. I can understand how vulnerable elderly people are - I once collected door to door picking up charity envelopes when we lived in a town and the elderly were always ready with a filled envelope, no questions asked.
Ern, yes, a more caring protective society. But how does that come about? Any ideas? i am genuinely interested.
When I was younger and this village was still a village and the pit was still open everyone knew you. If old missus Smith at the end of the road didn't go into the local shop by 10am for her paper and milk some one went round to find out why. Strangers hanging about were noticed and watched.
Now the pits gone, the village is the size of a town, and no body in the street knows anyone else.

I don't think everything from the past was rosey but I do think the sense of community has disappeared
Well now my oh can no longer answer the door I don't have to go round cancelling direct debits to all and sundry any more.
And it is well worth calling the police if you are unsure. We had one who looked 'dodgy' so I phoned the police and they were more than happy to nip round and question him........turns out he was genuine Image but the police sent a warning to the company he worked for any way about the training of their cold callers.
We've got a rule about cold callers. Its the 20 second rule. If they aren't obviously a meter reader then once they've said hello they get 20seconds to explain themselves before I shut the door in their face. I donate to charities but I choose very carefully which charities get my money because I don't have much to spare and anyone who asks for "just £2 a month" gets the door closed on them immediately.
I thought I posted a reply to this thread last night? Maybe it was inappropriate, never mind.

My most recent encounter with the doorstep challenge was a lad selling 'leccy.

He said something like 'blah, blah, blah, ....' so I asked him 'How does your social tariff compare?'
'What's that then? It's my first day.'
Then I suggest you go back to the office and ask your bosses for further training about the products you are trying to sell. Goodbye.'

The time when I nearly came to blows with a caller was with some over enthusiastic numpty selling Sky.
Him: question 1
Me: indifferent reply 1
Him: Fantastic! question 2
Me: reply 2 (bored now)
Him: Great! question3.
Me: reply 3, are we nearly done yet?
Him: Excellent, question 4.
Me: No, my wife is disabled.
Him: Brilliant! quest...
Me: WHAT? I say my wife is disabled and you think that is brilliant? Really? Have you listened to anything I've said? Do you even listen to yourself?

Door slammed, end of discussion.

BTW, I love those plastic 'charity' bags, saves me buyingusing bin liners. Always find a way to use them up.