[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
direct payments - Carers UK Forum

direct payments

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
hi,
just a question about direct payments, my mum is entitled to 16hrs week care paid by our local council.
I am thinking about leaving work to care for her,( I also work for 16hrs a week) I currently am able to claim working tax credits would I still be able to claim them if I am paid by my mum through the councils direct payment scheme.
hi denise i curently employ my son as a carer through direct payments and he claims working tax credits
Hi Denise

I'd suggest contacting the Carers UK Adviceline team to ensure that you are/will be claiming all the benefits you are entitled to (they are acknowledged experts on all matters related to caring and benefits).

Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Denise, please think long and hard before giving up work! It's a BIG decision - and it may well prove irreversible. Could you get your job back, or similar, if you change your mind, and realise that being a full time carer is just to stressful, or if your caree no longer lives at home, or has died?

Could you 'try out' being a full time carer first, even if that means taking, say, three months unpaid leave? That would give you a chance to see whether you cope with not having an 'escape time' when you are not looking after your caree It would enable you to find out how and when you are going to get any 'me time', and how stressful it is likely to be having 'nothing else in your life' except being a full time carer.

Although, obviously, the financial implications of giving up work are important, I would say the impact on your life - and maybe even your sanity! - are even more important.

Please don't rush into any decision!