[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CHC carers - Carers UK Forum

CHC carers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Dad is having carers 3 x a day supposedly to assist him to the bathroom, to dress and undress and check his dressing, help with washing and emptying commode etc.
Dad is refusing everything including any offers of cups of tea.
This is a slight generalisation but the girls seem willing to do the odd bit of ironing , washing up and tidying in the kitchen to fill their time. I am struggling with the men who seem tot hink they can leave as soon as Dad tells them to get lost, pretty much as s oon as they arrive so they note something in the book about refused a walk and personal care and then leave. It seems such a waste . I am reluctant to complain as it is "free" at the moment while eligibility is being assessed and not sure their terms of reference really include housework. I was wondering what your thoughts were?
Henrietta, who is doing all the things the carers are supposed to be doing, but your dad is refusing them?

Because if YOU are doing them, then he'll go on refusing them! Surely he has to experience what it's like NOT to have these things done at all, and that might 'prompt' him to accept the external carers?

I guess the other possibility is that you use up the carer's time to do other things, like your chores, so that you do the Dad -stuff, and they do some 'house-stuff' and then you get the time off from teh house stuff that you'd otherwise have to do later on!

Or, you simply vamoose out of thre house while the other carers are there, so at least you have a bit of 'me time' to yourself, even if all the carers are doing is watching over your dad?

But I do think that while you continue to do what the carers are supposed to be doing, that your dad refuses, then he has no reason to be 'reasonable' (!)
Hi Jenny
Dad manages to get to the bathroom himself before carers arrive and tells them he has washed? They are not keen on doing breakfast as only there for half an hour and not what they are for. I eiteh have to stand over tehm and ask for things to be done which kind of defeats the point or else they waltz off. I do go out very often when they are here but it it is easy to see what they have or haven't done while I am out.
As for not doing things for Dad, CHC expect me to do all the meals and drinks and house stuff, as I said the carers were for personal stuff which Dad is refusing so question is - do I speak to agency and tell them carers should do better at making themselves useful (remember I still need carer agency on board for CHC decision) or risk them deciding Dad doesn't really need them and is managing without them. From my point of view some help albeit half hearted but free is better than paying for some more useful help from elsewhere.
On the other side of the equation if I arranged care myself I could have it at a more useful time when Dad was getting up or expecting meals.
Hi Henrietta, when SOcial Services organised carers for my husband, I thought "how wonderful" but before long I realised that unfortunately some of them want to do as little as possible. My advice would be to befriend and be extra nice to any that DO want to be doing their job - I hope you have one or two!
I think arranging care privately might be 50% more expensive and SS might sign you off and not help you any more.
Hi Anne
Thanks for that- yes a good idea but I need to be careful they don't spend their time chatting to me instead! I've found a chearful few lines plus some basic instructions work best if I stay around but out the way in the garden, or upstairs . If I sit downstairs anywhere they just keep coming to me asking questions. They all seem reluctant to use the key box if my car is in the drive so I also have to provide door service although I have asked the agency that they use key box but they all say " they don't like to-DOH!!!" I now try to be in the back garden when some of them come!
Have a word with the care supervisor. The care is there to make life easier for you, not for the carers!
Hi Henrietta,

who specified the times of your Dad's care visits? Is there no way at all they can tie in with his actual getting up and going to bed or getting ready for bed routine? They may be more acceptable to him then. There is probably some old soul out there who would prefer your Dad's allotted times ... In hospital did get accept help with his care?

I looked at the Marie Curie website for guidance on CHC care and it said,
Personal care means anything relating to hygiene, food, emotional wellbeing, mobility or simple treatments like applying lotions or eye drops.
so help with meals IS part of their role. Even if to start with they just carry in the tea you made! Or heat up a lunch you cooked in bulk and took out the freezer or made your Dad a sandwich ....

Emotional wellbeing means spending time with your Dad. Surely some of the workers must have a common interest they share with your Dad?

I made S a communication passport as he is supported by different staff at college and is taken to youth club once a fortnight for an hour by a PA (and they change regularly.) His basically contains everything you need to know about S to support him effectively. It's written in bullet points, has a contents page and includes photos and clip art to make it visually appealing. It was time consuming, but saves me explaining over and over.

Melly1
Who drew up the care plan, Henrietta? I don't understand it because we don't have those problems with CHC.

They most certainly apologize profusely if they ring the doorbell because they haven't got the keysafe number.

Carers come double-handed for one hour and three half-hour visits. The care agency is not the cheapest, but the original council-recommended cheaper one closed down because it was substandard and we could not get another on the council list to provide double-handed care in our area.

Carers give breakfast and also sandwiches twice later. They also deal with the washing (but I see to it in between times). Surely you are working and you can't be expected to do all the meals? Our care agency coordinates with the CHC people. If I get respite they will also have someone staying at night and see to evening meal and shopping.

Social Services are no longer involved in CHC cases, Anne.
Hi Greta
I have just about trained 90% of the carers to leave dirty washing inside the washing machine. They are nearly all male carers and not one of them has ever once turned on the machine.
The hospital arranged for the CHC care for 5 days upon discharge but it has just continued pending full assessment and decision fo rthe time being. I think the conversation went along the lines of , " So you do all your Dad's meals, then what we'll ask for is 3 visits a day to help with personal care" ( all of which is being refused) .
Today we had a "foreign" carer who couldn't manage to make Dad cheese on toast. That is pretty typical. He goes into this "me no understand mode" every time I ask him to do something.
Perhaps I will try retraining them all to use the keysafe and insist they fetch the key so they can lock up when they leave.
I am feeling like a doorman at the moment.
That's ridiculous. The CHC manager needs to get involved with this and sort it out for you. After all, they are supposed to be providing his care now!! Have you actually met the manager yet. He/She should details exactly what the agency staff should be doing. The business of the key code is crazy and surely every member of staff should be capable of putting on the washing machine, if they can't, then they are not meeting dad's needs. After all, dad can't get out of bed and put the washing machine on, can he???!!!??? Strikes me they are just being lazy. It's not Agincare by any chance???