Changing times.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi Norman
I know this is off topic but I like your idea of a baby monitor...my room is not on the same level as my mum's and thankfully we haven't had any problems yet with me not hearing her but its something I'll remember for the future.

I did take up your idea sometime ago of using a cordless bell for my mum to let us know if she needed us but she rarely remember to press it! Has helped a few times though!

Take Care
Love Kaydee xx
I think you will find that all who have posted on this topic are in total agreement with each other and as such are supporting each other.

Could the tendency to disagree for disagreement's sake be dropped, do you think?

I'm sure it would be beneficial for us to pull together, not apart.
Kaydee

I have CTV monitors, they are like baby monitors seem in size only they have a small screen so I can see Mum all the time. I really don't know how I ever managed without them! They cost from about £35 upwards. I got mine on Ebay, just thought I'd let you know. Hope it helps!

As to this topic, I'm in all agreement with Snoopy, not a truer word said "I'm sure it would be beneficial for us to pull together, not apart."

Take care
Maryann x
Hi Tony. I went in to see my sister at meal times in hospital. She went down to 6st when she was very bad, every time I went in her meal was still on the tray unopened I looked at her notes and the nurses always wrote down she had such a thing to eat for her dinner. she didn't eat it unless I was the to feed her. she has cerebral palsy and she needs help.

I used to go in and ask how long have you been sitting in that chair this was at 12 noon pat would say since about 7-30am when I asked the nurses to put her back into bed they always said its part of getting better. 6-00pm when I went in Pat was still in the chair I asked the nurse again. all they said was be with you soon. one night I stayed untill 9-30 the nures said the night staff would get her in bed because you need two I thought I've had enough of this I'll have to do it when she comes home I might as well have a go now and I started to get her into bed evry night before I came home The nurses didn't like it and was told to stop doing it. But I think its cruel to let someone sit in a chair for all them hours and Pats scared of people she won't complain
Hi sheila23, When my wife was in hospitel for several weeks I used to make a point of visiting at meal times and helping her to eat before she became unable to swallow. I also used to cut her finger and toe nails and give her a shave, because the staff were not allowed to do it. Keeping her nails short was important because she was a diabetic.
Senior nurses admitted that things were different when they were student nurses. But litigacy culture is so prevalant these days the employers go to great lengths to avoid being sued. Even if that means that the most vulnerable suffer.
When Carers become employers in large numbers, perhaps case law will be established, where certain rules are not enforced in the courts. In the meantime a Carer employer faces bankruptsy or worse if his / her care worker employee sues for damages and wins.
I'm afraid 'the Law is an ass', and commonsense is thrown out of the window.
best wishes normangardner
I'd like to contribute a couple of things to this debate.

1) Many of these issues, particularly the more extreme cases are Human Rights issues. There are some interesting cases where the Human Rights Act has been used to get hospitals and Local councils to improve their services. Carers UK has worked closely with the British Institute for Human Rights on this. I know a lot of people have strong opinions on the rights and wrongs of the Human Rights Act but there is certainly potential there for carers and disabled people.
  • You can read more in an article about this on the site called "Denied the Right"
    An interesting interview with the Director of the British Institute for Human Rights
    Carers UK reserach report into the Human rights issues for carers
All this can be found here.
http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaigns/Humanrights

2) In the last issue of our members magazine Caring, we ran a new story about feeding in hospitals. It wasn't on the website so I have copied it below.

Matt

Could you stomach it?
The largest ever user survey shows that many hospitals are still providing meals that are cold, unappetising and inedible. The survey also shows what many carers already know – that hospital patients’ meals are being supplemented by food brought in by their family and friends.

Roz Hampson, who manages Carers UK’s CarersLine said: “This survey supports what carers have been telling us – that they continue to have to provide care, even when the person is in hospital, from things like changing bedding to feeding and supplying proper nutrition. It is not just the patient who suffers from poor hospital standards, but their family and friends too.â€Â
Hi everyone,

Hope you and your loved ones are well....that includes you too Matt Image Image .
Thx for that link Matt,some interesting info there.

Like most members who posted previous, I too have had to visit mam in hospital at mealtimes to ensure she ate or even take food in.However,I want to also let you know about a positive experience.
My mam was actually in 3 hospitals on a regular basis depending on the problem at that time.All were NHS.Only one of them was a disgrace,with same problems that many of you have already stated.The other 2 were marvellous.Nothing was ever a problem for the nursing staff and yes an odd time mam had a to wait a few minutes if they were busy with another patient but overall her requests were met almost immediately.I have watched nurses rushed off their feet take a few minutes out to sit with a patient to calm any fears they had,especially the elderly.

Now a negative experience.
Just 3 weeks ago the elderly lady that I care for under DP's was admitted to hospital,one I had never visited before.
Her daily meals consisted of......
Breakfast................cold porridge ( looked like wallpaper paste )
or...toast........no butter just a smear of jam.
Lunch......................sandwich ( 2 choices ) if neither liked no alternative meal was offered.
Teatime...................cooked meal ( warmish ) ( 2 choices )

Teatime was approx 6pm.............nothing else was given till breakfast following morning.
If not for the ladys family and myself taking food into her she would have been in a worse state when discharged than when she was admitted.

Take care
Rosemary
x x x
Hi Matt, thanks for the links. If this is off topic perhaps we should start a new one, but I note that The Human Rights Act applies only to public bodies.

'Who must take notice of the act?
The Human Rights Act only applies to public bodies, who must take account of its provisions in carrying out their work. These include:
Local council services, such as social services and schools
Hospitals and other NHS organisations
Primary Care Trusts for services such as your GP
If these bodies fail to comply with the Act, anyone living in the UK can bring proceedings in the domestic courts under the Human Rights Act if the violation affects them directly'

Are Carer employers of paid care workers and private employer subcontractors to Social services covered under the Act ? If not does this exempt people who are funded via indivdual Budgets and Direct payments, from the need to comply with the Act ?
best wishes normangardner
The Human Rights Act is an emerging law in that it will be some time before some of the issues you raise are clear, Norman.

You see, it could be argued that as the direct payment is a sort of contract for a public body (social services), the Human Rights Act does apply. Equally, it could be argued that as you are a private employer, it doesn't. The judges will decide only when someone takes it to the courts to find out.

But the Human Rights Act is not used as much as other law - Employment Law covers most of the issues you mention in terms of the Health and Safety at Work Act, Equal Opportunities Acts, etc. etc.

It's why there's been such a low takeup of direct payments.

The (coming soon) Individual Budgets are interesting as it seems that Social Workers will administer much of this - at least in one model I know of - and that almost certainly brings the Human Rights Act back into play (if it was ruled out to begin with).
Thanks Charles, I know you are an expert in Social Services.
It did occur to me after I posted that possibly there may be some overlap with employment law. For instance where a care worker employed by a Carer employer, sues for wrongful dismissal, when she refused to do something contrary to human rights legislation. I think a lot of lawyers will get very rich before all these issues are sorted out.
best wishes norman