[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
who should be paying? (care home question) - Carers UK Forum

who should be paying? (care home question)

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My son moved into a care home several months ago. His DLA and his incapacity benefit (except for £23 a week) is paid to the local authority for his placement.
The care home have asked us to provide £25 a week for outings etc. We have him home for a long weekend every alternate week. He also spent 3 weeks with us in the summer.
The problems is we have nothing to spend on him at weekends. The care home has now asked us to provide him with more warm winter clothing and we are finding things difficult.
Im too embarrassed to say we can't afford to clothe him and ourselves.
What does the 23 quid "pocket money" get spent on?

The home have a cheek to expect you to pay for your son`s outings. They should budget for this from his payment to them.

I would check with carers helpline, as this doesn`t sound quite right.xx
What does the 23 quid "pocket money" get spent on?

The home have a cheek to expect you to pay for your son`s outings. They should budget for this from his payment to them.

I would check with carers helpline, as this doesn`t sound quite right.xx
Have to agree with poppett here. You could have a look at Charity shops they are brilliant for clothes, you can get some really good bargains. Take care and best wishes RRB
For your first question, I'd give the adviceline a call they would be better qualified to advise where you stand.

I'm not sure why you are expected to pay for his outings, either. I have questions about the legality of this since you are already paying them to care for him, I'd have thought that the trips would have come under "entertaining him" and thus been their responsibility.

Your local freecycle may offer clothes that might fit him, too.
My son was in a similar position some years ago. Thanks to the CUK helpline, I found that I wasn't claiming many of the benefits available. Anyone in a similar position should be aware that CA weeks start on Sunday. If anyone is coming home for a long weekend, then the Friday and Saturday count as one full week, Sunday and Monday count as another. Any preparation time on the Friday before someone comes home, ie. making the bed,preparing food, collecting the caree, counts towards the 35 hours required; so does any tidying up, laundry time, etc. etc. on the Monday morning. DLA was not payable for LA funded care, but the "underlying entitlement" was there. So whenever my son came home, DLA "boarder payments" could be made quickly and easily on a special one sided form. Any mobility allowance entitlement MUST be paid to the caree, not the home. Many homes think they have a right to it, but they don't.