[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sort of respite? - Carers UK Forum

Sort of respite?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I live with my mother, who has been housebound for the last year. She has just gone in to hospital for another major operation, which may possibly give her back some mobility, time will tell. I have been feeling desperate for some time to myself, which I have now for the brief time she is in hospital, although of course there are hospital visits. So why do I feel like a wrung out dishrag, unable to make the most of this respite time? Fortunately I had already booked a few days away this weekend, which is going to help I hope, as I will be removed completely from everything. I am also going through a divorce at the moment, so I guess it may be all catching up with me, now I have time to think about it rather than being busy looking after someone else?
You've just "gone over the cliff". That's the way I think of it. You hang on in there, sometimes by your fingertips, boldly soldiering on, because you have to. Then something happens to give you some free time and it hits you, just how much more you are doing that all the other people you know who aren't carers. Just meander round doing nothing if that's what you feel like doing, recharge your batteries.
Thank you Bowlingbun, that makes so much sense, and is really helpful x