[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cataracts - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Cataracts

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi SheWolf

Surprisingly Dad went in to the nurses office to talk about something in the paper on 2 occasions when he was in care so he must have been able to read something.
He took the papers in to her.
She said as a medical person she did not totally know what dad was talking about but it sounded reasonable to her.

He did however have some strange worries.

1) He thought I had not renewed the house / car insurance.

2) He thought I would not be able to get any petrol to visit him.

With regard to the petrol another relative told me a petrol station was being revamped nearby and was closed for a few weeks. She wondered if he could have heard something about this and got the wrong end of the stick.
I did not know about this as I did not go past this petrol station.
I don't know to this day why Dad thought I had not renewed the house / car insurance.

Brian
Father getting wrong end of stick - yes, that's happening more and more with my father now, as certain words baffle him. He's surprisingly sharp on some things though and manages to solve quite a few crossword clues when he puts his mind to it.

I'm nervous tonight as tomorrow is the big day for Mum, when 'Operation Eyeball' gets rolling! Not a phrase I'll be using with her - well not until AFTER her op has been done, she might see the lighter side then, in more ways than one. Image Very nervous now but fingers crossed Mum might have a brighter outlook if the op goes well. She used to enjoy shopping and reading so I'm hopeful that better eyesight will renew those interests. We've been told that she may be in hospital for up to 8 hours, then I have to stay with her overnight and will also be there most of Sunday to administer the eye drops around the clock. From Monday morning the carer will be working extra hours to help with the eye drops regime. I'm told the aftercare is pretty vital so we have a rota in place. Can't stop thinking about it all. Won't sleep well tonight and tomorrow will be on night nurse duty, so expect I'll be shattered by Sunday night. Good job I only work part time.
Good luck with the op today and I hope all goes well xx
Thanks for your support everyone.

I'm glad to report the op went well. Image Mum was a bag of nerves but the staff were all very kind and patient. The eye drops numbed her eye completely, there were no injections used and she felt no pain. The only issue was that she did struggle to keep her eye in the right place during the procedure and she felt upset that maybe she'd caused the surgeon a lot of problems. However, we got chatting to two other ladies who'd just had it done and they both had the same issue of keeping still enough, so Mum realised she wasn't alone.

Last night Mum's vision was still a little blurry but she had no pain. Despite the blurred vision, colours already seemed to be brighter and she was able to read certain things across the room that I can't see without my specs (I'm short sighted) so early indications are good. There was a little weepiness so I bathed her eye with the sterile water and pads they'd given us for that purpose, then put the drops in and put the eye mask back on for the night.

My husband kindly did the morning and lunch time drops today, then I will do the teatime and night drops later. I've been catching up on sleep this morning and hubby is still out, so I haven't had an update yet, but hopefully her eye will be clearing a little during today.
Im so glad it went well Image
Keeping my fingers crossed that her recovery goes well, SheWolf. I'm sure it will; it really is one of the safest operations.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, which might still be of interest to those who may yet develop cataracts, is that having a developed cataract in one eye leads to the loss of normal stereoscopic vision, because you are processing only a single clear image in the brain (the other one is a cloudy blur) instead of the two slightly different, overlapping ones that together create a 3-D picture. And in turn, that 'flat' image very easily leads to falls, because features on the ground, such as shadows, bumps or potholes, are hard to interpret. I had at least three falls in the year before my cataract was removed. This problem was not so bad for me (though it was embarrassing, tripping over things that weren't there) as my general state of health was good, but could be quite serious for a person who is elderly and frail.

Tristesa
Thanks Tristesa, I'll keep in mind the increased risk of falls. Mum hasn't left the house since the op 6 days ago, but with a cataract in one eye and the other still slightly blurry from the op, it's best to be cautious.

Mum had a little pain in her eye once the numbness wore off after the op, so she took painkillers for a couple of days, but her eye seems to have settled down quite well now. The surgeon probably put a lens in that matches her "normal" vision, which is far sighted. She can see the telly across the room very clearly but is still struggling with reading small print, so she will need reading glasses, but that was the case before. We tried out her old reading glasses (gave them a good clean first and didn't put them right close to her eyes, just in case) and she was able to read clearly with them, so maybe in another week, when the main infection risk has passed, I will encourage her to put her specs on and start reading again.

Eye sight is precious and affects so many aspects of our lives, so I'm very grateful that this operation was available for Mum. She is a very nervous patient and not great at handling pain, so I'd say that if she can handle it, most people would be able to. So, although I'm squeamish about eyes, I would not hesitate to have the op done myself, if the need arises.
Hi SheWolf

I am glad the operation went well and I am interested as I have Cataracts.
As I have said before the doctors do not want to operate at this stage. Sight is precious and the doctors do not want to take any risk at this stage.
I am having my eyes checked once a year in accordance with their recommendations.
If I follow my father I may not have to have the cataracts removed for 20 years plus.
When I transfer to another doctor I always mention my Bupa cover but they must have good reason not to do the operation if they will not even do it for money.
I am well within the road traffic acts for driving. In fact I am within the law for driving without glasses but I would not be happy doing so.

Brian
It sounds like a very successful result Image
My mother is due to have her second cataract removed in just over a week, and is more nervous about it than she was for the first one. Mum didn't feel any pain last time, but remembers vividly that she had trouble keeping her eye still and the surgeon kept shouting at her to keep still - she is now obsessing about it. However, I reminded her that next time she is having sedation (she refused it for the 1st op), and as her memory is so bad I've written this down in large letters in a note which is right in front of her, which seems to have helped calm her a bit.

On another note, I discovered today that my father can no longer read the small print in a magazine, only the headings. He's 84 and had his eyes tested 6 months ago, when they discovered cataracts but said they weren't bad enough to operate on. He was prescribed new varifocal glasses and everything seemed fine, but I'm now concerned that the cataracts may have developed to the point where he needs the op, but the NHS may not want to do it. Image I asked the care home manager to arrange another visit from the optician and she said they only do them once a year... that seems odd to me? I thought all eye tests for pensioners were free and I was not aware that there were restrictions as to frequency, but maybe it's to do with the optician doing it as a 'home visit'? I've said if needs be we'll pay for the eye test, but I'm not leaving it another 6 months and I'm not prepared to let him go blind, just because the NHS might deem him a low priority (my guess, not her words). I'm very anxious now, as he's already lined up to have several teeth removed at the hospital, but now he may need his eyes doing too. I can't see how he'd cope with the eye op while being awake, as with his dementia and hearing problems he'd have real issues keeping still. In an ideal world, if he needs a general anaesthetic, I'd love him to have the teeth extracted AND one cataract removed all in one go, and funnily enough the hospital seems to have one private company running eye and dental clinics, next to each other, in our local hospital. Dare I hope that this might be possible for Dad? I might take the opportunity to ask this question, when I'm there with Mum soon.