[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Caring Sheila loses weekly allowance - Carers UK Forum

Caring Sheila loses weekly allowance

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
A WHATLINGTON resident has called for a change in the law after the Government stopped her carers allowance.
Sheila Lilly, 64, had been getting £17 a week to help care for her elderly mother, but last month she received a letter to say because of an increase in her pension, she was no longer entitled to the allowance.
When Mrs Lilly's husband turned 65 in April, her pension rose from £32 to just over £52.
The letter ordered her to pay back all the carers allowance she had received since April.
But she has yet to receive the promised pension increase.
She said: "The minute they did that they took all my carers allowance away and back-dated it to his birthday.
"They have not yet put the extra on my pension. I think this is wrong. I think it's a disgrace."
Mrs Lilly's mother is blind, hard of hearing and suffers from arthritis, as well as other health problems.
The 89-year-old lives in Seaford and Mrs Lilly has to do everything for her, including dealing with her finances and home carers.
Mrs Lilly said: "I have her over every weekend and if she's in any need I have to go to Seaford immediately. She needs constant care and someone watching over the care she's getting and making sure she's getting it."
Mrs Lilly says it would cost the Government £300 a week to put her mother into a home.
She said: "It's saving the Government a lot of money being kept at home. All these people coming in to help her are saving a lot of money for them."
Mrs Lilly now intends to take the issue up with Battle MP Greg Barker.
She said: "There's obviously a loophole here with these carers that should not be there.
"Why is it the only allowance they means test with the pensions?
"Every other allowance, like disability allowance and housing benefit, do not get their pension taken away for that."
A spokesperson for the Department for Work and Pensions said: "We are unable to comment on individual cases.
"Certain benefits cannot be paid at the same time. If the customer is entitled to
more than one benefit at the same time, they will receive the one which is based on their National Insurance contributions.
"Once a carer becomes entitled to their state pension, payment of carer's allowance will stop if the state pension is paid at a higher rate than carer's allowance.
"This is because both state pension and carer's allowance are income-maintenance benefits.
"They are both designed to replace income and two benefits cannot be paid for the same purpose.
"However, entitlement to the benefit does not stop. This means as long as the carer continues to meet the qualifying conditions for carer's allowance they will have an additional amount for caring included in their pension credit, housing benefit or council tax benefit.
"Carers over state pension age who are not able to receive pension credit may still be able to receive housing benefit and/or council tax benefit. "
Last Updated: 06 September 2007 2:11 PM
Page 1 of 1

All rights reserved ©2007 Johnston Press Digital Publishing
Sister Newspapers:
Visit www.bexhilltoday.co.uk
bexhill observer
Visit www.eastbournetoday.co.uk
eastbourne herald

Article from Hastings and St Leonards Observer

jojo
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its getting stupid ,, back dating overpayments which really she should be entitled to any way!!!! Image Image Image Image
I filled in all my forms correctly when to the office with all my paperwork etc, when redoing my income support forms, they ticked everything off & still over paid me by £5 a week for over a year Im still paying the £340 back, not negotiation over how much they take, they take it before I even get my benefit & it was their mistake to start with!
If they made the mistake they can't take it back if you say you don't agree because you can't be made to pay for their mistakes. They will try but they don't have the right to force it. You'll need to put it in writing.
I didnt know that, they never gave me a choice I just got a letter telling me they were taking the money back weekly will look into that thanks Image
Yes a a bl Image disgrace that this is happening in this day and age.

Supposed to be a first world democratic BE IT CIVIALISED country not on your nellie.

the idots athte dwp just love to rile and they have done this to me personally time after time but the dont give a dam about us and l have said this beofre very conceited and degrading treatment.

fight on we all will with a vengence and l and others carers please please keep irrititating social services goverment and the powers that be for the change we need now.

kenneth2dundee