[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Caring for more than one person - Page 2 -Carers UK Forum

Caring for more than one person

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Karen
A Home is a council's last resort as it is the most expensive option. They start at 2 or 3 daily calls to her home for personal care and food. They won't be thinking that for along time yet
MrsAverage wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:31 pm
Karen
A Home is a council's last resort as it is the most expensive option. They start at 2 or 3 daily calls to her home for personal care and food. They won't be thinking that for along time yet
Thank you all so much for your advice I will let you know how the Assessment goes tomorrow,
Hopefully we will get some help,
I had counselling to help me set my priorities clearly, something I'd never really done before.
My son had to come first because he had SLD and couldn't speak up for himself.
Mum, housebound for years with a variety of problems, could speak up for herself and could pay for whatever care she needed.
My counsellor encouraged me to explain this to mum.
She really didn't like the thought of not being "Top Dog" but she couldn't argue that it was a wrong decison.
I was also ecnouraged to have more of a life of my own (despite being disabled myself).
Mother and son couldn't share me out between them. My own life and my own needs were equally important.

I see lots of similarities between your situation and mine.
bowlingbun wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 am
I had counselling to help me set my priorities clearly, something I'd never really done before.
My son had to come first because he had SLD and couldn't speak up for himself.
Mum, housebound for years with a variety of problems, could speak up for herself and could pay for whatever care she needed.
My counsellor encouraged me to explain this to mum.
She really didn't like the thought of not being "Top Dog" but she couldn't argue that it was a wrong decison.
I was also ecnouraged to have more of a life of my own (despite being disabled myself).
Mother and son couldn't share me out between them. My own life and my own needs were equally important.

I see lots of similarities between your situation and mine.
Hi bowlingbun
We had the meeting this afternoon
The Social worker was really nice and took onboard everything we do in our Caring roles
She offered Mum Care three times daily and we are very happy with the result.
She also gave me a form to fill in so that the care provider who lied about Mums needs will have to answer to Social Services
:D Thankyou all once again for your advice.
That sounds much better. Just beware of mum "saving" jobs for you because you do it better!!
You have been warned.