[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CARING FOR A PARENT IN A COUNCIL PROPERTY - Carers UK Forum

CARING FOR A PARENT IN A COUNCIL PROPERTY

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
In the news this week is the tragic case of a son who has lived in the same council house for 50 years. A carer for his mum. He was not listed as one of the tenants and has recently lost a court battle to stay there.

Every year, the forum has one or two members who are made homeless when their parent moves into residential care or dies.
Policies may differ.
Sometimes a carer is allowed to stay, or move into a smaller council property to free up a family home for a family that needs it, which seems fair to me.
However, sometimes carers have enquired and been told verbally that when the time comes, they can stay. Sadly, not in writing, and the carer has been made homeless.
Aware of the rules, very often I ask new forum members about their parents housing situation, whether the home is owned or rented?

I would like to ask Carers UK to flag up this very important issue with the government.
These carers have saved the government a fortune, caring for parents who would otherwise be in residential care costing £500-£1,500 a week. They may have had to give up work in order to care, and any hope of a social life.

What do other members think?
It's one of the topics that came up quite regularly when I was doing advocacy work for carers, and subsequently on our local advice line. I absolutely agree it needs to be addressed.
I would like to ask Carers UK to flag up this very important issue with the government.
Hear, hear!
bowlingbun wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:42 am
In the news this week is the tragic case of a son who has lived in the same council house for 50 years. A carer for his mum. He was not listed as one of the tenants and has recently lost a court battle to stay there.

Every year, the forum has one or two members who are made homeless when their parent moves into residential care or dies.
Policies may differ.
Sometimes a carer is allowed to stay, or move into a smaller council property to free up a family home for a family that needs it, which seems fair to me.
However, sometimes carers have enquired and been told verbally that when the time comes, they can stay. Sadly, not in writing, and the carer has been made homeless.
Aware of the rules, very often I ask new forum members about their parents housing situation, whether the home is owned or rented?

These carers have saved the government a fortune, caring for parents who would otherwise be in residential care costing £500-£1,500 a week. They may have had to give up work in order to care, and any hope of a social life.

What do other members think?
It needs addressing pronto.
Maybe this could be discussed at the AGM?
Hi,

I did flag this thread with Admin last week. Hopefully there will be a response posted soon.

Melly1
How many more who are unknown to the forum and Gvt have lost/will lose or are losing their home and right to a downsized home? Probably a significant quantity.
This is carers who have slipped through the net after all they have sacrificed and contributed.
It's an open loop situation that needs closing to ensure they are provided for.
Thanks bowlingbun for raising this issue of carers of parents being made to leave their homes when their parent dies.

I have forwarded your post to our Policy and Public Affairs team and asked for a response which I will post in this thread as soon as I receive it.

With good wishes

Michael
Thanks Michael. Can you draw their attention to the recent court case please.
Hello all

I've received a quick response from a senior member of our Policy and Public Affairs team. The issue of carers being evicted from their homes when their parent dies does come up now and again, but is still absolutely shocking when it does so thanks bowlingbun for highlighting this.

We’ve raised this issue before with Housing Ministers asking for caring to be considered as a further inherited tenancy or for caring for several years to count at the very least for a priority for rehousing. We recognise that many carers have either given up their own homes to live with a parent or have lived with a parent for a long time, and many people who have been caring for years find they cannot inherit the tenancy.

When Carers UK has been engaging with Government ministers about housing it is something that we have raised and we will continue to raise this issue when we have the opportunity to do so.

Thanks for sharing your views within this thread.

Michael