[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers urged to check council tax - Carers UK Forum

Carers urged to check council tax

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
With Council Tax bills for 2008 about to issued Carers UK is urging carers to make sure they are paying the correct amount. It is not widely publicised but some carers could qualify for up to 50% off their council tax bills.

Carers UK regularly hear from carers who’s local council or even their local advice centre have told them incorrectly that they cannot have a discount, when in fact the carer is entitled.

Carers UK’s helpline has helped in cases where the carer has been paying too much since as early as 1993 when Council Tax was first introduced. The good news is that this money can be backdated all the way to 1993, leading in some cases to substantial backdating awards of thousands of pounds.

Jean French is manager of Carers UK's helpline CarersLine, she says "It is well worth carers getting independent advice about their council tax payments, even if they have been paying for years. Local councils may insist they have the calculation right, but often they fail to understand the various types of help with council tax they are obliged by law to offer. Their written or online information can be confusing. You may need to be persistent with your appeal."

Carers UK has issued updated advice for carers on their website, including a template letter that carers can use to ask their council to recaluculate their council tax.

If you are a carer and want to find out if you should be getting a discount on council tax, visit our website www.carersuk.org/Information/Financialh ... counciltax

For further advice, ring CarersLine on 0808 808 7777 (Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am to 12 noon and 2 to 4pm)
ive done mine the old doll gets a full discount so on her half she pays NOWT on my half i get the 25% carers discount but in Newcastle the 25% comes off not my half but the whole bill we also get the £150 disabled releif our bill should be £120 per month but its down to £28 so iam happy .


dont forget in most local authority areas if you have a WAR SERVICE PENSION , WAR DISABLEMENT PENSION OR THE WAR WIDOWS PENSION they should be disregarded .
Cheers Matt, we get 25% off but it might be worth me looking at it again.

Paula xx
Here in Wiltshire I am 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes (not to mention in any other respect!) which leaves my father as a 'Single occupant', thus he gets 25% off. Because the house has adaptations to suit his disability, the bill is treated as one band lower as well.
cotula - I think you should be entitled to full council tax benefit - you should check it out - you would be exempt from council tax if you're circumstances are as you say they are
Marion - that is part of what is meant by 'disregarded' - I do not pay any Council Tax.
After reading this I thought, great I can get a discount...then I read the small print.


yet again, I'm invisible because I'm married to the person I care for.
i meant for your father!!!!
hi there

i'm afraid you are right - sorry izzywizz

the rules are that the carer's discount does not apply if you are the spouse or partner of the person you care for, or their parent if you care for a child under 18

but - for everyone else - please do apply!

remember that -

- you do not have to be getting carer's allowance to apply
- if there are two carers each providing 35 hours of care each week then they can both be disregarded
- the carer's disregard can be added to any other disregards that are available - such as those for students, hospital patients, or people who are severely mentally impaired

do ring us on carersline - 0808 808 7777 - 10-12 & 2-4 Weds & Thurs - if you need more information

best wishes
Marion, you said [quote]"cotula - I think you should be entitled to full council tax benefit", which I took to mean what it said.

My father is not eligible for benefit. I am not going into details, as they are not relevant to this discussion.