[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers rights in employment. - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Carers rights in employment.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
[quote]Scally, I disagree]

It was a written warning, thats no big deal, and entirely justified except in a real life or death situation. It doesnt matter what the excuse is, if there was no prior agreement or protocol in place, it is still being absent without leave and that gets a hard slap. He works in the school maintenance department: so what would have happened if there was a flood or an electrical emergency, or the heating or lighting failed? Its a key job with significant safety implications, isnt it? There is almost always a quick way to ask permission or at least notify someone you are leaving the site: and at least leave them a mobile number in case THEY have an emergency.

Carers do not have carte blanche to ignore normal workplace regulations: they exist for a very good reason.
Sorry, Scally, but the situation discussed a potential life or death situation. And the company stated:
'we all have problems a home but we shouldnt bring them to work with us'
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision in your eyes or mine, the basis was discriminatory. And that makes it a matter that could go to Tribunal: think Sharon Coleman. The ACAS advice assumes that the person concerned is at home dealing with the crisis, rather than being called away. Under normal circumstances you notify first: however, it could have been too late in this instance and calling in as soon as things were under control would not have been unreasonable.
I recently went for an interview for a job but was turned down for the post. The letter I received stated that I could ring the manger if I wanted any feedback, so I rang and I was told the reason I did not get the job was because I was a carer and that they thought that my caring responsibilities would prevent me from doing the job properly.

Quite frankly I don't want to go to work as some days I am so exhusted I can barely function let alone do a full days work but my financial circumstances dictate that I need a job as my income support and carer's allowance come to just a little over £60 a week which is not enough to live on.
Quite frankly I don't want to go to work as some days I am so exhusted I can barely function let alone do a full days work but my financial circumstances dictate that I need a job as my income support and carer's allowance come to just a little over £60 a week which is not enough to live on.
Hi Karen, yes, I think your situation isnt so unusual. To many employers, that is unacceptable, they need the work to be done to deadline: as I wrote above, my work can be done in my own time and is paid as piecework: I earned well over £100 today in about six hours, thus proving that piecework and self-employment don't have to be poorly paid. And I don't need any formal qualifications for this job either, though it needs good people skills, modest computer literacy, a vehicle and effective admin: rather like a salesman but I dont actually sell anything. On the downside, I have no employment rights at all: my work is by assignment and I get paid by results. It's all a question of finding suitable employment isnt it, and some work can be done at or from home, or in your own time. Millions of us now work from home, and it can be very liberating and fit in very well with a carers lifestyle.