Carers not Caring!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I don't think I normally get confrontational but I can feel my blood boiling.
Perhaps "the dog" is her purpose for living. A dog to many people is as important a member of the family as anyone else . I will shut up before I getmyself banned and go and take some deep breaths.
I'm really disgusted that the carer is using mum's vulnerability to get out of doing her job. No bath, food, or drink is disgraceful. What about mum's basic human rights? The agency is clearly not fit for purpose, definitely needs the intervention of the Care Quality Commission, not just to protect your mum, but the others too, because there are bound to be others also getting second rate care. CQC were involved when my mum's carers were failing a number of their carees, they spoke to mum very carefully and gently. This is definitely a matter for them.
I agree that the way your mum is being cared for is absolutely horrendous and definitely needs reporting. Before I became a full time carer for my wife I was a domiciliary care worker and unfortunately you get all sorts working for these agencies I even caught a care worker going to hit one service user that had fallen on the floor so I gripped there arm, shoved them out the door and rang the office to explain what had happened so they could get the service user help to get up and log what the carer had done, whilst reassuring the service user that they were now safe and that my colleague wouldn't get in especially whilst I was there.

The other thing that you have mentioned is your dog, now I know the dog means a lot to you but it is most definitely not a care workers job to care for a service users animals, in fact it is actively discouraged especially walking the dog because if anything happens i.e. the dog runs off or the dog gets ill then the company would be wide open to legal action as care workers and care agencies are neither trained nor insured if anything happens. Therefor it is totally up to the individual care worker if they choose to take the risk or not as it would be them that could potentially get sued.

Care workers are only allowed to operate within there own training and company policies and the only reason they are there is to care for your mum's needs nothing more nothing less. If a carer cannot do their job as they do not feel safe in the property for any reason firstly the agency has to take reasonable steps to try and get a suitable carer to do the call but also it is the service user, their family and social services job to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the carers are able to work in a safe environment with out fear or perceived risk to themselves.

I know this all sounds harsh but as I said I used to be a care worker and there are a lot of things put in place by agencies to cover care workers for insurance purposes, so if and when you do report all this remember that if the care agency shows the CQC that they have taken reasonable steps to try and provide a suitable care worker but were unable to do so because of the dog then the CQC and social will unfortunately advise that you get rid of the dog so that your mums welfare can be looked after properly.
Michael that's exactly what I said! I don't know why Henrietta is so annoyed. If it is a choice between care for the mother or looking after a mutt then the care for the mother should come first every time. Its not a care workers job to look after folk's pets! As I said some people are really terrified of dogs especially big ones although the one that went for me when I was four was a terrier. I don't agree with what the care worker is doing but I can see her point regarding the dog.

Eun
Exactly. I had to get rid of our dog because my wife couldn't handle him, it broke my heart but I would much rather my wife be safe and sound than risk her not being able to cope with the dog and her harming herself. I know a lot of people wont agree with me and will say that the care workers should just do the job and not let the dog influence their care but the simple fact is even without a carer being afraid of the dog it is still taking time away from what they are being paid to do when they generally don't have enough time to do the job as it is let alone with having to walk the dog etc. So either way having the dog when the mum isn't physically able to look after it is taking the precious little care she does get away from her. It's all about priorities you either have to get rid of the dog or get someone you trust or an agency specifically to walk and feed the dog during the times that the carers are there
Eun
I can quite understand your antipathy towards dogs, given your childhood experience, and maybe something similar has happened to the care worker who attends. In which case she should never have been allocated this call and if the Care Company cannot supply another carer at all then they should pass the work on to another company.
Everyone
I think it is very harsh to condemn the dog, which hasn't actually done anything wrong, which is apparently trained and docile and which has not given a problem to any other visitor to the house, because one person has a fear of dogs in general and this particular dog and should not be placed at this call because of it.
Given that this lady's two, obviously concerned and caring children are at University, therefore unable to attend her daily and that her companion, friend and comfort is this dog, I think that to suggest the dog be 'got rid of' so that one care worker out of many will feel able to supply the lady with care in the evening is unreasonable. To the lady concerned the trauma of losing the dog in such circumstances may be extremely detrimental to her health and well being.
If the care worker does have a genuine phobia for dogs then her employers should be taken to task for continually putting her in this situation and also for putting the lady at risk because her care has not been carried out properly on numerous occasions.
(It begs the question that if someone afraid of spiders saw one in the bathroom, would they neglect to wash a service user, run out of the house and not lock the door?)
I agree that it is probably not part of the care plan to walk the dog, but this has not been asked. Merely open the door and let it out if required, as I understand it. Too much to ask?
I really feel for the two young people who are trying to deal with this situation. They are away from home, coping with University life and studying, intelligent, but do not yet have the life experience which will help them to cope with the intricacies of Mum's situation. I feel that suggesting that Mum's dog be got rid of (put down?) is not going to help them.
Come on everyone. Can we focus on these two young people and suggest help for them and their Mum without digressing any further into 'animal welfare'.
Elaine
I had a similar thing with carers falsifying records, i.e putting down wrong times; saying they'd been there longer than they had and lying about the amount of care they were giving. I had someone from the agency visit with a feedback form, this is part of CQC rules. I told it like it was and said I wasn't impressed with the care - and also pointed out that in view of my Mum's age she could die in the time they'd given and they always finished their entries with 'all well on leaving'! I'm luckily in a position where i can supervise care and being a nurse know what sort of a standard should be adhered to. Care and record keeping has improved greatly since then. With regard to the carer and the dog - you are within your rights to refuse to have this carer, I'm sure everyone would be happy with that. I have a dog and once had a nightsitter whose culture thought dogs were dirty, the dog however is an important part of our life and no way would I think of getting rid of him - sooner get a sitter who likes dogs. Have you tried contacting the Cinnamon Trust with regard to volunteer dog walkers? That would provide another option as if there's an emergency and the dog needs taking care of they provide foster placements and it's often the person who's been walking the dog so it's not someone the dog doesn't know and he goes into a home environment rather than a kennel. i'd also ask for a new care manager if you aren't happy with the one you've got. Hope this is helpful.
I've just gone through all the replies to your initial post again as I felt bothered, but couldn't tell myself why
Firstly - there's no way anyone would say 'Get rid of the dog'. I have personal experience of the CQC and there is no way the would advocate this - they're always on your side, and in the end it's their view that carries the weight.
Secondly the Cinnamon Trust supports all sorts of people - old and disabled people who can't walk their dogs but need that companionship, so their volunteers do the walking and feeding, and in an emergency they provide foster care - I have a couple of friends who work for them - but they don't seem to advertise themselves well.
Thirdly - keep your own notes when carers have been, their notes tend to be basic, you need to record stuff like attitudes, she's your Mum - you know how she should be treated. But it can be hard when presented with a plethora of professionals, (I think I've just invented a collective noun!) to fight your own corner. But keep plugging away - never give in!xx