[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gordon brown and carers -Carers UK Forum

gordon brown and carers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Did you see GORDON BROWNS interview he spoke about carers needing help and support i think carers uk should be pushing him to make a statement as to what kind of help and support we need
we dont need help lines or training how to care for people we now need help with our financial situations as a carer we gradualy spend our own savings and end up with nothing we pay for prescriptions, glases, teeth most of us pay for council tax i even pay tax on a small private pension we cant pay extra into stakeholder pensions, we are doing this "work" as we think our relatives deserve it and they do but who will care for us when we are alone .
i strongly belive we should be able to retire early i cant see myself looking for work aged 63 / 64 .
Well said George, I didn't see the interview but I agree - he needs to know what we really need not what they think we need.

I think I feel another letter coming on Image

Paula
Well said indeed George. Trouble is all 'help' for carers comes in packages that go to social services and councils and are not always used for carers. Money for carers needs to come straight to carers, we are the ones who know what we need and if we get the money we are likely to be able to get what we need, not an assessment that says we need it, but sorry no funds.
i could not agree more. we do not need more help lines or money spent on surveys and money given to s.s. which seems to disappear down a black hole.

don't forget george if you are still caring when you retire, you will not even receive Carers Allowance, because of this dam overlapping benefit rule.

let all of us carers let Gordon Brown know that we need and deserve some decent finacial reward for the work we do, and for the money we save the country.
Gormless Gordon needs to be made to listen to what carers want, councils pay whatever the care firm want if they have to pay the full cost of the care needed if this is £20 per hour then they pay it yet direct payments are around £8 per hour to cover tax national insurance and all the rest. As with most things money meant for something never reaches where it is intended to.

If you are expecting changes when gormless becomes PM then forget it like all politicians he will say what he thinks you want to hear then do what he wants.
Carers should be exempt from prescription charges, eye test fees, dental fees and they should be paid at least 50% of what it would cost if the person they care for had to go into a care home or £200 a week whichever is the greater.

Finally carers should receive CA regardless of age if they are caring, the overlapping rule should be scrapped for CA.
Personally I think carers should get £25,000 a year if they care for one person and 50% more for 2
Dear Wildthing: I agree 100% with you regarding Gordon Brown,he must be made to listen to what carers need not what social services say we need, the sums of money you talk about are in my mind perfectly reasonable amounts for the work that carers do, people who foster children from local councils get very similar amounts as you suggest, do they work harder than carers, are their costs more than carers, i dont think so, these things Gordon Brown must be made aware of otherwise this next general election carers must get together and not vote Labour.

All the best Tony. Image
Did you see GORDON BROWNS interview he spoke about carers needing help and support i think carers uk should be pushing him to make a statement as to what kind of help and support we need. we dont need help lines or training how to care for people we now need help with our financial situations as a carer
Gordon Brown has recently announced that he will publish a new national Strategy for Carers which will outline Government policy on carers. It should be published by the end of this year. To inform the strategy the Government will carrying out major consultations with carers, although they have not yet announced the details of this.

Carers UK has decided not to wait for the Government consultations and has already organised three events and invited Ministers along. Also we recently surveyed thousands of carers about their finances and we'll be publishing the results of that soon (we had 3000 returns)

Matt

Matt
g.herschel - where is your evidence that 'carers don't need helplines or training'?

My local Carers Centre handles many hundreds of enquiries from carers each year on its helpline and no doubt other carers centres do the same, as does Carers UK's own helpline. One of the outcomes for carers using the helplines is that they get more money out of the system because they didn't previously know everything that was available.

Of course there is a strong link between caring and poverty and it is indisputable that Carers Allowance is far too low, but not ALL carers are poor and I find the idea that the ONLY thing carers need is a bit more money to be simplistic and reductive.
Carers UK has decided not to wait for the Government consultations and has already organised three events and invited Ministers along
And how are carers supposed to get to these consultations when we are so busy caring? and don't have the money to pay for care services, then travelling?.
And how are carers supposed to get to these consultations when we are so busy caring? and don't have the money to pay for care services, then travelling?.
As with all events Carers UK organises we allocate funds to help carers pay for replacement care and travel expenses. There is money available for these events to pay for travel and care.

Of course we realise that by their very nature, events like this can only ever cover a handful of people, that's why Carers UK also gather views through this website, by writing directly to thousands of carers and through local carer and disability organisations.

Details of the events are on this page
http://www.carersuk.org/Getinvolved/Eve ... tionEvents

Carers can get involved with the debate on the local campaigning area of the forum
http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewforum.php?f=21

Matt