[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers I interview - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Carers I interview

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
112 posts
if i was in her situation i would have sold the second home and cared full time for the person i love ......i also pay tax a wee bit more now,, also i would not call this woman a carer at all , she has social service support, and also pays for private care , and the help of a relative ,, how much care does she actually provide ???? i wonder if she will retire aged 65 .. or will she take advantage of Camerons big society and continue to work till she drops , god knows how she will manage with her husband if she did retire look at the extra work she will have to undertake...
You are not in her situation or her, George. Since when have a tiny minority of members of this board, members who are not adverse to bemoaning the fact that they cannot get the free, or additional free, care to which they believe that they should be entitled, been given the role of deciding who is and who is not a carer Image .
What is caring?
When people need help with their day-to-day living they often turn to their family and friends. Looking after each other is something that we do.

Up and down the UK there are six million people caring unpaid for an ill, frail or disabled family member or friend. These people are called carers but they would probably say "I'm just being a husband, a wife, a mum, a dad, a son, a daughter, a friend or a good neighbour."

Carers help with personal things like getting someone dressed, turning them in their sleep, helping them to the loo, helping them move about or administering their medication. Carers also help with things like shopping, laundry, cleaning, cooking, filling in forms or managing money.

The reasons people might need help can vary. Maybe they were born with a disability or had an accident that left them disabled. Or they have an illness or disease. Their problems may be physical or mental. They might need help because they are getting older and frail. But what doesn't vary is that they need help, and if you look after someone - for whatever reason - caring is part of life.
xxxxxxxxxx
To qualify for Carer’s Allowance, you have to provide 35 hours of care each week to the person you look after.

What this means•You will need to be providing at least 35 hours of care for the same person.
•If you're caring for two or more disabled people, you can't add together the hours you're caring for all of them to make up the 35. Even if you look after more than one person for 35 hours a week, you can only claim one lot of Carer's Allowance.
•When working out whether you provide 35 hours of care in any one week, note that under the Carer’s Allowance rules a week runs from Sunday to Saturday.
•You can't average the time over a number of weeks. You have to provide at least 35 hours of care in each week for which you claim Carer’s Allowance.
Care can be at any timeIt doesn't matter what time of the day or night the care is provided. If someone you care for comes to stay with you, you can count the following as part of the 35 hours:

•the time you take to collect them and take them back to where they live
•time spent in preparing for their visit, for example, preparing where they will sleep or preparing their meals
•time spent cleaning up after they leave
Example
Jim cares for his mother, Ruth, who has dementia, and he also has a paid job. This is a typical week:

•Sunday: Jim collects his mother at 9am and takes her to his home. She stays until 9am the next morning = 24 hours.
•Monday: Jim takes Ruth back to her own home, settles her and later clears up his own home after the visit = two hours.
•Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: Jim visits Ruth after work and makes her a meal. This amounts to two hours of care each evening = six hours.
•Friday: Jim makes a shorter visit to his mother after work = one hour.
•Saturday: Jim prepares his mother’s room and cooks food for her = two hours.
Total hours of care: 35

who cares for Jims mum when he cant ,,, is it right for the state tp pay for his mums care to allow Jim to work, or does Jim`s mum receive free care via social seervices , or does Jim or his mum pay for the care themselves ,,,,
ooops hard work and commitment ,,, from leaving school i worked every single day , never ever had a day on the sick or on the dole , both STAN & the old doll worked every day of their lives including old doll 6 years war time service, which has ruined her health , STAN 8 years service 5 of them as a slave labourer in P.O.W camp , which also ruined his health, both physical and mental ..i became a carer because the state could or would not provide the care that we believed we were entitled to , every single thing we have asked for has come at a cost , except when STAN was at deaths door then they provided me with a hoist and tilting bed "FREE" mind you i had to pay for the ramp at the front door ...8 weeks respite care , the respite care STAN recived was far from satisfactory , the one 2 week break we were happy with was with our own doctor , the other 6 weeks was a disgrace , and in the end we refused local authority respite care ,,,, which by the way was not free ...even the respite care via the M.O.D. veterans agency is now unavailable to us ... unless of course i am ill or in hospital .. no one has worked as hard as me in an effort to get the social care we should have as a right and not at a cost ....... oh by the way i had to sell my home as we were forced to move to a safe residence for STAN, or face having him, against our wish`s and his placed within care home for his own safety ... and folks wonder why i get angry ... and what do i ask for err an extra £20 a week would have been nice ... even though i dont need extra cash now i will still fight for a decent level of carers allowance for all full time 24/7 carers ... we do exist ....
No-one is questioning your committment, George, but what right does anyone of us have to suggest that someone is not a carer or less of a carer simply because they are able to manage their caring role differently to us, for example, because they manage to combine work and care, or because they combine education and care, or because they share the care with a family member, or because they are able to access social care, or because they choose to spend their own money on care? There is more than one definition of a carer and some more accurately reflect the diversity of our situations than the one used by the DWP which has the sole purpose of defining the conditions to be met for entitlement to CA.
that`s the problem re the six million , i have been told time after time we have six million carers , and to fight for one particular group is wrong , if we are so diverse why cant we fight for each group individually , i see it from a differant angle , if i was in paid employment , with support from family / friends ,help from the state via social services and was able tp pay for someone else to do the bulk of the care for a family member i would , sad to say not class myself as a carer , maybe someone who cares, but not a carer ...
George- both you and your mother CHOOSE to be in the situation you are in. You have had opportunities offered to you but nothing is ever good enough. That's your CHOICE. It doesn't make you any more worthy or deserving than the rest of us.
That's a bit harsh dragonlady, maybe the choices were rubbish and were really no choice.
Vicky
maybe the choices were rubbish and were really no choice.
Good point Vicky ..i think that is very often true.
This forum sometimes reminds me of the Python's four (or is it three?) Yorkshiremen sketch, you know the one where they try to out do eachother on who was the most deprived and deserving of praise and success? Image
Sorry Dragnonlady,
I will defend George on this one. Caring for a frail and elderly person is NOT a choice for many of us! We are all in it together when it comes to caring however; some have it better than others and it just highlights the injustice.

Reality check Image

To quote Anne,
Andrew Dilnot, head of the Commission on the Funding of Care and Support, said adult social care had "always been a Cinderella service" that has never worked. Andrew Dinot is absolutely right to point this out. Too many people with substantial & critical care needs receive no support despite the rules meant to ensure they receive vital services. It's a shocking state of affairs that's set to get much worse.

Disabled & elderly people & their Carers have been suffering for years under a system that gives us legal entitlements to care & support but rarely supplies it. Years can be spent fruitlessly battling for these lifelines to be put in place for loved ones. It's an exhausting & demeaning process that has serious consequences on the mental & physical health of both the Carer & the cared for.

How can this be right when being elderly and/or disabled is a daily struggle in itself?

As a Lone Parent/Carer, if I am hospitalised, for example, there's no-one & nothing in place to care for & support my adult son. I'm 60yrs old, have Arthritis & am always in pain yet am caring 24/7 without help or respite. The situation IS critical & if anything happens to me or I die, what will happen to my son?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... cuts-adass
112 posts