[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers I interview - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

Carers I interview

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
112 posts
Charles wrote
Without a guidebook
Out of context, I know, but I'm still looking in vain for my Carers Guide Book with the instructions.
Charles wrote
Without a guidebook
Out of context, I know, but I'm still looking in vain for my Carers Guide Book with the instructions.
There will never be an Instruction Book every single Carer is an individual.
And no one Case will ever be the same.
John.
Charles wrote
Without a guidebook
That's exactly my point, Fran. If you don't know what to look for, how do you find it?
Shall we start another thread, "What annoys you most about this thread"?
For me this tired old idea that all carers who go out to work are somehow smarter than those who work as carers at home. Most of us are at home because we DO know what is on offer, we DO know how to articulate and advocate and for us it isn't good enough, either because there is less in our part of the Country to start with or what one person considers good enough another does not.
As we all agree everyone's circumstances are different people need to get past this idea they have that home carers are just not smart enough, frankly it's insulting.
Vicky
For Vicky: Image
Thank you
I don't think that working carers are smarter than any one else, but then I don't think that working carers, or carers who get regular respite and/or extra support when they are not in paid employment are part time carers either.
I think we should all just accept that everyone has different circumstances, who do what works for them AND their caree.
Vicky, no insult intended. I certainly don't believe that carers aren't smart enough. But if you've never cared before, where do you get the info to start with? That was a massive task for me, and I had some ideas about the system because of my previous work. I referred to the fact that Excalibur's view ignores those who don't know what's available, and believe me that is the majority of carers. If there's any criticism there, it's of a system that not only doesn't work, it ignores vast numbers of people on the assumption that they should know everything already. I've been a carer for more years than I care to remember, I've worked in the system and around it for years - and it's a flat impossibility to know everything about it. It's too big, too complex, and because of that it's virtually inaccessible.

For some carers, what is available can't meet the need - and in some cases it isn't even available. I've already said that.

The problem is that it's virtually impossible to get an accurate picture - who is or isn't "smart" is irrelevant. What is relevant is that we're all carers, we all have different needs, different opinions. But we need to recognise that what is right for us as individuals won't work for others - and there's too little of that going on in this thread.
Thank you Charles but my comments are not a reaction to your post on it's own, there seems to be a recurring theme here.
The discussion isn't really about first time carers who wouldn't know what's available, why would they?
So my reaction to Excaliburs original post is this: And your point is?
Vicky
The point for me is that most of us don't have a choice about combining working and caring. For those who have a choice, they're the luckier ones and there's really no more to be said about it.

Signed,

Grumpy in Surrey
Excalibur said:
I don't hold up this lady as a model because I want to belittle carers who lack her resourcefullness and skills, I hold her up because I think some of us can learn a little from her.
There you go Vicky and Grumpy in Surrey ( Image ) Excalibur is just pointing out that some of us 24/7 carers lack resourcefullness and skills. He wants us to learn from this lady (and from him of course). Then we too could live in lovely tastefully furnished period homes. He's trying to help us ..he's all heart lol.

And not in the least bit patronising! Image
112 posts